• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Credit Card Types

PHPexplorer

Hi!,

Please let me start out by saying that I too am new to the world of PHP. However, I am finding working in my commerce store very interesting. I do need help with one item though. I have searched thru my hosting sites support pages and also looked at the contibutions pages for anything relating to setting up the choice of being able to select: Master Card, Visa, American Express cards. It baffles me that something so common on many websites today, that this code was not included with my default store that I've purchased. Can anyone at least point me in the right direction by providing a link to the solution. Perhaps I even just missed it on the contibutions, I don't know.

Thanks for your time! :blush:

The way osCommerce currently handles this is it looks at the number and determines what kind of card it is. Some have said that the code that does this is flawed and doesn't always get it right, especially for MasterCard.

The sites that have the user select the card type usually do so more as an aid to the customer (in saying which cards are accepted) than as important info, as you can tell from the card number which class of card it is. For the majors, if it starts with 3, it's Amex, 4, Visa, 5, MasterCard, 6, Discover.

I understand that in the MS3 release (release date unknown), there will be a switch to a method more like what you're used to, where the customer selects the card type. You can certainly add that without too much difficulty, but it isn't typically something you require.

Archived