• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newbie tech help required!

Scotsguy

Hi Guys,

Need a bit of assistance regarding a first time installation.

I've managed to upload catalog folder/s fine, however when i proceeded to the "Install database" section, i keep getting ;

Access denied for user: '[email protected]' (Using password: YES)

I've checked that the server name and password are correct by logging on through Macromedia and browser methods and get connected fine.

I'm also not to sure what i should write in the Database Name: box.

It's 1.30 here in Scotland and i'm getting a touch frustrated as i would have liked to have it installed before i hit the sack!

Need some "simple" instructions to get me past this hurdle.

Thanks in advance

Tom

I'm also not to sure what i should write in the Database Name: box.

Need some "simple" instructions to get me past this hurdle.

Hi,

You want to connect to a database but you do not supply the name of the database.

How do you expect it to work. Find out the name and put it in and make sure that the user has got the right permissions to update that database

Regards

Richard

:thumbsup:

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you elaborate on the database requirements?.

Whos/What database folder/file name should go in the database field?

Is it oscommerce/my server that supplies the folder/file name.

I really do not want to "guess" at this early stage and can find no explanation of what is required to go in this anywhere in the knowledge section.

It's the Database import window that's causing me to stagnate. (see below)

Database Name..????? (what goes here)

The database used to hold the data. An example database name is 'osCommerce'

Any assistance would be most welcome.

Regards

Tom

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you elaborate on the database requirements?.

Whos/What database folder/file name should go in the database field?

Is it oscommerce/my server that supplies the folder/file name.

I really do not want to "guess" at this early stage and can find no explanation of what is required to go in this anywhere in the knowledge section.

It's the Database import window that's causing me to stagnate. (see below)

Database Name..????? (what goes here)

The database used to hold the data. An example database name is 'osCommerce'

Any assistance would be most welcome.

Regards

Tom

When you created the database you had to give it a name. I am assuming that you did create one. That is the name you should use.

If you did not create the database then you need to do so. You should do this from your hosting control panel. It is a three step process. First you create the database, then the user and password, then you assign the user to the database. Once you have done this then you use that info for the fields in the install screen.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user: '****@*****' (Using password: *****) in *:\******\www\*****\******\includes\functions\database.php on line 19

Unable to connect to database server!

This indicates the wrong username DB_SERVER_USERNAME or password DB_SERVER_PASSWORD information in the configure.php files

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

When you created the database you had to give it a name. I am assuming that you did create one. That is the name you should use.

If you did not create the database then you need to do so. You should do this from your hosting control panel. It is a three step process. First you create the database, then the user and password, then you assign the user to the database. Once you have done this then you use that info for the fields in the install screen.

Hi,

Done as requested, ie. set up database in cpanel/mysql database section (with ALL permisions).

However now get; Lost connection to MySQL server during query.

Just in case i'm off track, what should go in the Database Server: field?

Tom.

Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user: '****@*****' (Using password: *****) in *:\******\www\*****\******\includes\functions\database.php on line 19

Unable to connect to database server!

This indicates the wrong username DB_SERVER_USERNAME or password DB_SERVER_PASSWORD information in the configure.php files

Hi,

It must be blatantly obvious by now that i am an absolute new kid on the block and after being up till 3.30am this morning and most of this afternoon, working my way through your kbase, i am a touch peeved that someone would drop an answer like the above on me. Especially with no explanation to remedy the suspected fault.

All i would "love" is for someone to tell me what should go in the fields of the following installation window and an explanation of what to do to make this possible if i have not already got them.

New Installation

Database Import

Please enter the database server information:

Database Server: What/whos server?

Database username

Database password

Database Name:

Database Name

Enable persistent database connections.

I have searched for a "NEW USER" forum without success, also a step by step guide to installation with basic, easy to understand, idiot proof instructions has escaped me.

If someone could guide through this problem area, i would be most grateful.

Tom

The post states clearly that the information is in the configure.php files.

Database Server: this is the server provided by your host which has the database

Database username this is either a username that you have assigned to the database that you created on the hosts server or the username assigned to you by the host provider for use with the database.

Database password this is either a password that you have assigned to the database that you created on the hosts server or the password assigned to you by the host provider for use with the database.

Database Name: this is either a databasename that you have assigned to the database that you created on the hosts server or the databasename assigned to you by the host provider for use with the database.

Enable persistent database connections. this can be left at false

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

Archived