• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SSL Shared vs Dedicated To be or not to be?

Sangdao

My web host has a free shared SSl cert which I have linked to oscommerce. I made a couple of test orders and I did not see any scary popup windows mentioning mismatching certs and sites nor cert not trusting issues.

The only problem was that the address window was not in my site's name. Which is not a big problem ...I think.

Any practical experience out there from people who have lost sales by using a shared ssl cert??

Any thoughts on the freessl $19 certs?

Thank you!

David

I don't think there are any major issues with shared SSL from a customers point of view. Most users (dependent upon the website) aren't technical and so tend to look for the following:

- the padlock icon

- https in the address box

- a trusted certificate (no popup warnings)

If the shared SSL has 'secure' or something similar in the url, a lot of customers will feel even safer.

Personally though I don't like shared certificates as I think it looks a bit more professional when you have your own so that SSL runs on the same domain name. I started with a Thawte certificate but dropped it due to the cost, the one I use now costs $69 a year and works fine.

I'd suggest starting with the shared SSL and then once you start getting some orders coming in, and can justify the cost, switch to your own.

Jon.

Archived