• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Limit Categories by User

rajeevk

Before I get to coding this myself, I would like to know if someone is already aware of a contribution that will do this. What is need is to restrict users to certain category of products only.

I do wedding photography on the side, and I would like to build a store where users can order prints. In this case the Wedding Couple will be setup as a category. However, I don't want John to be able to see Bob's wedding photos.

I am open to any suggestion/comments.

your source for custom hand-knotted rugs from Nepal.

A part of family of companies.

This seems to be a common request...if ANYONE can tell us how to accomplish this, please help! I have gotten this far...

using .htaccess to password protect a directory is a solution, I just don't know which folder to find the category in...

...also, could this be a MySQL thing?

Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence.

• 4 weeks later...
This seems to be a common request...if ANYONE can tell us how to accomplish this, please help! I have gotten this far...

using .htaccess to password protect a directory is a solution, I just don't know which folder to find the category in...

...also, could this be a MySQL thing?

The simple solution to this is to use the hidden products contribution.

I have it working perfectly with customer groupings, so you create a cusotmer group for your customer and create the product as only viewable to that custoemr or customer group (lets say family members in your case)

• 2 months later...

Has anyone submitted better instructions for the "hidden products" contrib? The latest version that I've downloaded has instructions that basically say "figure it out yourself" along with a list of files.

I'll be surprised no one has uploaded a decent installation guide.

• 1 year later...
The simple solution to this is to use the hidden products contribution.

I have it working perfectly with customer groupings, so you create a cusotmer group for your customer and create the product as only viewable to that custoemr or customer group (lets say family members in your case)

I have Linda's 'Hidden Products' contribution installed as well. I do have a small problem though which maybe you could help with. The contribution includes a 'default.php' file which of course has now been superceeded by 'index.php' I have tried without success to lift the 'Hidden Products' code out of the default file and drop into the index file. Is this something you have managed to do?

So you are looking to have permissions on categories, based just on users, user groups, or both?

In the wedding images example, when are these categories being created? When you have the images ready to go and then you as the admin create the category?

Archived