• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Dreamweaver

sbusch

I am very new with Dreamweaver, acutally first day having the trail version. I was wondering if you must buy the complete program to be able to edit php in the design mode. I have used ftp to get my files but when I open them, all I see is the code and no design. Does dreamweaver show you the design and I am not doing something right?

It can render php if you have it install locally.

However, you cannot edit php in design mode. Sorry, code only.

I am very new with Dreamweaver, acutally first day having the trail version.  I was wondering if you must buy the complete program to be able to edit php in the design mode.  I have used ftp to get my files but when I open them, all I see is the code and no design.  Does dreamweaver show you the design and I am not doing something right?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

It can render php if you have it install locally.

However, you cannot edit php in design mode. Sorry, code only.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge. When you say it can render it if it is install locally. Do you mean if I downloaded my page or if I actually designed it from start locally?

And is there actually a way to see my code displayed as a webpage before sending to my website. Cuz, I know I am going to mess it up while learning.

Thanks for the help

I mean if you have php, mysql and the OSC cart installed locally, then dreamweaver can reder the page properly. That's also how you can change a page before uploading it to the website.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge.  When you say it can render it if it is install locally.  Do you mean if I downloaded my page or if I actually designed it from start locally?

And is there actually a way to see my code displayed as a webpage before sending to my website.  Cuz, I know I am going to mess it up while learning.

Thanks for the help

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

I mean if you have php, mysql and the OSC cart installed locally, then dreamweaver can reder the page properly. That's also how you can change a page before uploading it to the website.

You will probably hate me for as stupid as I am when it comes to Dreamweaver. I guess what I want to know is, are you able to work with php in Dreamweaver as you could html in frontpage? Where you could switch back and fourth between the layout design and the code?

If so, how?

Like I said, in order for dreamweave to be able to display the results of the php graphically, you either need to be running everything locally (php, mysql, osc from your desktop), or you'd have to copy and paste the html output of the php into dreamweaver.

For editing, you can not ever make changes to the php through the graphical interface. You always have to edit the actual code.

You will probably hate me for as stupid as I am when it comes to Dreamweaver.  I guess what I want to know is, are you able to work with php in Dreamweaver as you could html in frontpage?  Where you could switch back and fourth between the layout design and the code?

If so, how?

Like I said, in order for dreamweave to be able to display the results of the php graphically, you either need to be running everything locally (php, mysql, osc from your desktop), or you'd have to copy and paste the html output of the php into dreamweaver.

For editing, you can not ever make changes to the php through the graphical interface. You always have to edit the actual code.

Ok, thanks for the help. I guess php is going to be to advanced for me. I was hoping that you could design in graphics and it would write the code. Similar to frontpage. If anyone knows of a program like that for PHP, please let me know.

There are none. I'm afraid you're going to have to get your hands dirty.

on the bright side, if you have the time and patience, there are pleanty of resources here to help you out. And if you don't have the time and patience, there are pleanty of hungry programmers about.

There are none. I'm afraid you're going to have to get your hands dirty.

on the bright side, if you have the time and patience, there are pleanty of resources here to help you out. And if you don't have the time and patience, there are pleanty of hungry programmers about.

If you just want to play with the design and change style sheet attributes you can rename a page from php to html and use the dreamweaver css editor. I've been doing that while I work on a design and then I copy back the html portions I've changed to the php file.

I put in a lot of comments while I'm working to keep track of what I'm doing its a lot of back and forth from the php to the html file but I do find it helps me make a bit more sense of the layout if I can see the tables graphically.

I'm pretty new to this php stuff but have been using dreamweaver for 5 years so its an interface I'm familiar with - I SO wish there was a way to see php in design view :)

If you just want to play with the design and change style sheet attributes you can rename a page from php to html and use the dreamweaver css editor. I've been doing that while  I work on a design and then I copy back the html portions I've changed to the php file.

I put in a lot of comments while I'm working to keep track of what I'm doing its a lot of back and forth from the php to the html file but I do find it helps me make a bit more sense of the layout if I can see the tables graphically.

I'm pretty new to this php stuff but have been using dreamweaver for 5 years so its an interface I'm familiar with - I SO wish there was a way to see php in design view :)

Yes I totally agree with you. I wish I only knew what a "style sheet attribute" was and then I would try what your saying. LOL

Thanks for the replies.

Hmmmm...glade there is a topic on using Dreamweaver. I have been using it for about 3 yrs now and LOVE it. I get to switch back and forth constantly to see my pregress.

But here is something interesting that maybe someone can help me with. I have been deciding to either download or not download the STS or BTS contrib since they say it is WYSIWYG for osCommerce. I am assuming those 2 add HTML to do the editing online. IF that is the case, how do I merge the PHP code with the HTML code so I can make it work the way I have my main website pages set up. Currently they are 2 totally different designs since I can't edit the layout of the cart to match the other site pages. To me it looks pretty unprofessional like that. Does anyone have any ideas on this? I have seen several posts around here on working with the cart in Dreamweaver/HTML, but none really say HOW to actually do this or start doing this. I am still new to PHP as it isn't the easiest to work with for me, but I am able to weed through most of the code and make some changes. All help would be HIGHLY appreciated.....I might even send you a bag of candy corn for holloween :P

Archived