• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Back up directory

Hi I wonder if there is any help out there for this little problem?

Getting an error in admin back up that my backup directory does not exsist.

It tells me to edit config.php but I have tried many things and no luck yet.

Any ideas

pete

Just create a folder in your admin directory named backups and chmod it to 777

Hi Bear...still a little new here, but coming along. I'm great at HTML, but PHP I'm still learning. :huh:

:blush: I have the same problem in my admin that says:

"Error: Backup directory does not exist. Please set this in configure.php"

So, My question is...

What is chmod it to 777 mean?...once I know that I will be able to fix this prob!

Thanks...looking forward to your answer or anyone else that answers this thread.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Hi Bear...still a little new here, but coming along.  I'm great at HTML, but PHP I'm still learning.  :huh: 

:blush: I have the same problem in my admin that says:

"Error: Backup directory does not exist. Please set this in configure.php"

So, My question is...

What is chmod it to 777 mean?...once I know that I will be able to fix this prob!

Thanks...looking forward to your answer or anyone else that answers this thread.

chmond is the read write and execute settings of a file

If you are using WS_FTP just right click the file and select properties

or you can do it in file manager in admin

or in your c/panel

chmond is the read write and execute settings of a file

If you are using WS_FTP just right click the file and select properties

or you can do it in file manager in admin

or in your c/panel

I still don't understand...please explain in "novice terminology" if at all possible. I know it seems stupid for some of you out there that i'm asking this question, so do you have to execute a file somewhere? Do I click on a file, or what do I do.

I've already created the backup directory. Now what?

Appreciate all of your help guys, even if it is a stupid question :blush:

P.S. I don't use Wise FTP. I will most likely be using File Manager in Admin. What is c/panel?

I still don't understand...please explain in "novice terminology" if at all possible.  I know it seems stupid for some of you out there that i'm asking this question, so do you have to execute a file somewhere?  Do I click on a file, or what do I do.

I've already created the backup directory.  Now what?

Appreciate all of your help guys, even if it is a stupid question  :blush:

P.S. I don't use Wise FTP.  I will most likely be using File Manager in Admin.  What is c/panel?

chmod is the command for changing the permissions on the files on your server. chmod 777 means that everyone can read/write/execute the file.

What FTP software do you use to upload OSC to your server? If it is standard iit will have 2 panes like MS Win Explorer. One pane is your local pc and the other is your server.

In you server pane, find your way to the backup directory, right click and there should be an option to 'chmod'

c/panel refers to you server/host control panel for you website.

HTH

I don't use any FTP software. I use Windows XP Pro and just drag and drop my files. Isn't that the easiest way?

I use MS Win Explorer and log onto my FTP server by my hosting login. A window pops up and asks me for my username and password, and i'm in. Don't use any software that I know of. Just good ole windows explorer.

Anyway, what do I do next here :)

I don't use any FTP software.  I use Windows XP Pro and just drag and drop my files.  Isn't that the easiest way?

I use MS Win Explorer and log onto my FTP server by my hosting login.  A window pops up and asks me for my username and password, and i'm in.  Don't use any software that I know of.  Just good ole windows explorer.

Anyway, what do I do next here  :)

No you've lost me completely. I will let someone else help with this as I do not know what you are doing.

Have you set OSC up on your local pc or on a remote hosts server?

I don't think my File Manager in Admin is working correctly. It lists all of my directories under my root, but will not let me do anything with them. Any explanation to why I cannot view anything in there. There's a drop down box in the upper right corner but nothing is in it. Is it suppose to be like this? What's the use of File Manager if I cannot do anything in there, but view my directories? When clicking on the directory it shows nothing, but the arrow at the right comes on, but that's about it! :o

Is this correct? Or does it need to be fixed so I can get this silly thing figured out.

I have my site live and working on my server.

I do not use a FTP software...just drag and drop my files through windows explorer. I can log onto my server through Windows Explorer.

In other words:

I just go to "ftp://www.mydomain.com" from a bookmark I have in Windows Explorer. That way I have my files in one pane to the left from my computer, then drag and drop my files to the ftp on the right. (using Internet Explorer in Windows Explorer)

Anyway...all I need to know is how to chmod this silly admin directory? :huh:

I would certainly reccommend visiting download.com for example and search for WS_FTP, an ftp client.

Once you connect to your hosting company/ domain directories- you will see the listing

once you right click on a folder or file theres an option "chmod" unix, those are the chmod sets

you can select your options read/write to users etc, and it will say on the bottom of the ftp client which mode you changed (chmod) on that file or folder

example chmod 777

I look these up on the internet in a search engine, example: chmod 777- then look through the searches and it will say something like for chmod 777, owner gets this and users get this and others get this.

if the ftp client tells you its been chmodded to 755 or something else, you changed the wrong mode. try it again you may get 766, you need to make sure you set your modes they way there suppose to be set. Once you install and try WS_FTP, if your hosting company supports ftp connections you should be ok.

You know what...I went back into my Admin area and went to the "Database Backup"...now there is no error. So did I correct it by just making that directory live in my admin directory? Do I even have to Chmod 777 anything? I no longer get the error in my Admin-Database Backup area? Is that all that is needed?

Well, I think it's fixed, but not quite sure. It shows no error, but is it working? BTW, what is this good for---backing up EVERYTHING before making changes to my store? Or does it just back up products, etc?

I would certainly reccommend visiting download.com

Do I absolutely need to change these chmod settings? I've never used an FTP software program and didn't think I needed to. I will certainly use it if it is essential to making things secure. :huh:

Does chmod help you make your site more secure? :huh:

I already have my admin directory protected with an ftp login, what else should I be concerned about with security? Does chmod relate to security issues? :huh:

BTW...related to my last post in this thread, I don't recieve an error anymore in admin, does this mean everything is ok? What's the full use of this DB Backup anyway...is it used to backup my whole store, or just part of it?

I know...Still silly questions, but I'm almost (I think) to that AHA moment, hopefully :D

Archived