• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OMG - Where did everyone go?

Ok, I was getting quite a few hits a little while ago and now they are all gone. On monday I had approx 80 hits and the next few days afterwards, I've only had 5 to 10 hits.

I really don't get it. I try to advertise my site and submit it to search engines, but not being crawled anymore.

Anyone else noticing a down turn? What are you doing to generate some hits/sales?

Thanks for any information!

Joe,

Have you changed any content wording, metta tags or keywords or general text within the last few weeks?

Sometimes spiders pick up those changes, don't know if they like the changes yet and take some time to readjust your "categorization" and standing.

I get crawled almost daily. There are times not for a week.

If you examine your stats, are most of your "80 hits" from search bots?

If that is the case and you did not get spidered for a few days, then "5 to 10 hits" is your actual (potential) customer traffic.

I run a hosting company.

My Own sites' web stats did not tally correctly for the first 5 days of this month.

Sometimes it is just the game of averages.

The difference from 80 to 10 hits (70) is nothing if you average out the month.

When you start getting hundreds or (hopefully) thousands of hits a day, those variations become less significant.

There is no "down turn" happening at the moment - only a lull in your average.

Good, targeted, relevant (to your business) text on your site helps.

Quality reciprocating links from other good, targeted, relevant sites helps.

A targeted, relevant metta tag/keyword/page title structure helps.

HTH

Hey Tony,

I know that I haven't changed anything with meta tags & all those other things as I never installed any to begin with. I checked my "top visitors" and they are from one search engine - inktomisearch, one of the engines that I had dropped my name into.

I guess the whole reason for this is just that I'm frustrated that I can't seem to generate any interest in my site. I know that I am selling the same thing as a million other people, but everyone that drops by says that I have nice stuff, appealing site & yet they don't spend a dime.

I also know that you get what you pay for when it comes to advertising, well, I don't pay for anything right now as I don't have the funds available.

Well, thanks for the information!

You seem to be selling quite a mismash of different things . The only thing they seem to have in common is that they are all things you wouldn't actually go out and buy. Let me put it another way they are all 'gifts'. Well this next 3 months should be your peak selling period :blink:

Anyway you are going to find it hard to get a decent search engine ranking. Maybe you can get some Canadian magazines to mention your website.

Try gettting some link exchanges.

Why don't you use the symbol C$ instead of just $ ? That would make it clearer that you are looking for Canadian customers.

The below probably has something to do with it:

Proxy Error

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

The proxy server could not handle the request GET /store/nfoscomm/catalog/.

Reason: Could not connect to remote machine: Connection refused

If you put the URL in your address bar, that is what you get.

The below probably has something to do with it:

If you put the URL in your address bar, that is what you get.

Not sure which URL you are taking about? I've been off & on my site & I haven't had any problems. Please let me know!

You seem to be selling quite a mismash of different things . The only thing they seem to have in common is that they are all things you wouldn't actually go out and buy. Let me put it another way they are all 'gifts'. Well this next 3 months should be your peak selling period 

Anyway you are going to find it hard to get a decent search engine ranking. Maybe you can get some Canadian magazines to mention your website.

Try gettting some link exchanges.

Why don't you use the symbol C$ instead of just $ ? That would make it clearer that you are looking for Canadian customers.

Radders,

Thanks for the suggestions, I will certainly have to get my name out in Magazines or something. That's a great idea, I never even thought of that!

As for the link exchange, I'm not sure how I should add a page or something to get that exchange started.

The C$ is a pretty good idea too!

I appreciate your ideas!

Archived