• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Search engines and site names

5happycampers

My site, jewelryandgiftshop.com, is not getting any visibility on search engines. I have tried free search engines submission up to this point. Here is a thought though:

Should I change the name of the site to include a more unique word/name that would/may ensure more search engine hits?

Will that help or is it the Meta tags that do all the work?

Thanks for any help.

You should start by making every page on your site have a unique title.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Yes, titles are probably the single most important variable in search engines determining where to rank you in their index.

First, pick out a few key phrases that you'd like your site to be displayed when searched for. Try to come up with key phrases that will be popular, but not tooo common. Search in google for that key phrase to see how many websties are returned. Generally If there are less that a million returned, then is it probably possible to get in the first couple of pages with a little SEO.

You should start by making every page on your site have a unique title, starting with key phrases you've selected. This will at least get you in the index for those key phrases.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Archived