• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

changing site and google page rank

bozamic

Okay. Yesterday my page rank was a big zero. I was thinking about changing my intro page and taking the columns out completely.

Now, I go on to look the site over and get my ideas in order and I have a google page rank of 2. My category links out of the box each have a rank of 1. Surprise to me.

My question is, if I carry through with my plan to change the intro page, losing the columns, I also lose my links in the box on that page. Will I lose the page ranks? Is it too risky?

Also, I was considering adding another level to the categories which would change the address of some of my current categories. Same questions: Am I risking too much with the page ranks?

Thanks for any advice.

Page Rank is not important anymore.

I have a page (it's not an osCommerce site), which has PR4. This has no incoming links, no outgoing links, and consists of a page of text.

I would say make your changes, and don't worry too much.

Okay. Yesterday my page rank was a big zero. I was thinking about changing my intro page and taking the columns out completely.

Now, I go on to look the site over and get my ideas in order and I have a google page rank of 2. My category links out of the box each have a rank of 1. Surprise to me.

My question is, if I carry through with my plan to change the intro page, losing the columns, I also lose my links in the box on that page. Will I lose the page ranks? Is it too risky?

Also, I was considering adding another level to the categories which would change the address of some of my current categories. Same questions: Am I risking too much with the page ranks?

Thanks for any advice.

Your page rank will bounce around like that for a while because google has a number of databases that are all being continually updated. Eventually, if nothing changes on your site to affect it, the PR in all of the DB's will match and you won't see the changing rank. When one page has a certain PR, the pages it links to will have that PR - 1, unless there are other links going to that sub-page too. So, yes, if you remove the categories link, that PR may go down. Although, PR is one of many things to consider and is not as important as many of the others.

Performing SEO is a long term process. You are always going to be changing your site. Actually, google even looks at how often your site is changed and will lower your relevancy if it has not changed in some time. PR is determined by links to you. If you swap links with a 100 different sites, the changes you make on your page will hardly be noticed. So if PR is your main concern, increase the number of backlinks you have.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived