• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Featured Products mod- help w/ phpmyadmin

Hi,

I've installed the featured products mod- and now am onto step 11 of the install file:

Step 11:

Now you need to create the database table that will be holding the featured products. You need to run the featured_products.sql file's contents in your favourite sql interface (like phpmyadmin) to your database .

I'm a phpmyadmin newbie - and I need more details in order to create my db for the mod.

step by step would be soo appreciated.

1. How do I "run" the featured_products.sql in phpmyadmin?

I'm looking at some tutorials, but I thought it might be faster to ask the experts. :thumbsup:

Thanks

Amanda

if you can get into phpmyadmin then you can click on the database and then mysql, then copy the file into the sql box or browse for it. however i do not suggest asking us how to use it, because if you do something wrong you only have yourself to blame for not following it through properly and learning the package, its powers, what it can do to wipe you out, etc.

also you should have a local copy of the store, database, etc and make all changes locally and make sure they work then transfer to the web site.

Hi,

I've installed the featured products mod- and now am onto step 11 of the install file:

Step 11:

Now you need to create the database table that will be holding the featured products. You need to run the featured_products.sql file's contents in your favourite sql interface (like phpmyadmin) to your database .

I'm a phpmyadmin newbie - and I need more details in order to create my db for the mod.

step by step would be soo appreciated.

1.  How do I "run" the featured_products.sql in phpmyadmin?

I'm looking at some tutorials, but I thought it might be faster to ask the experts. :thumbsup:

Thanks

Amanda

Hi Amanda,

I have not installed that Mod but if it is telling you to run the sql script against your current database you would simple open your database using whatever means you have available (in Cpanel or other server admin software or you can download phpMyAdmin from Here) and run the script in the query window. phpMyAdmin is very easy to use, I like it more than anything else I have seen and you can get it free from their site.

Backup your database before doing anything in there if you are not comfortable. In case anything happens you can restore. Also, be careful and do not run the query more than once as you could possibly add duplicate data.

Hope this helps, post back if you have any other questions. I am not nearly (by any count) the smartest but I am figuring it all out. If I can't answer your questions someone can!

Craig

if you can get into phpmyadmin then you can click on the database and then mysql, then copy the file into the sql box or browse for it.  however i do not suggest asking us how to use it, because if you do something wrong you only have yourself to blame for not following it through properly and learning the package, its powers, what it can do to wipe you out, etc.

also you should have a local copy of the store, database, etc and make all changes locally and make sure they work then transfer to the web site.

We posted at the same time. : )

Mibble is right .. I guess all too often folks in here give advice and then the advisee feels the advisor is responsible if something goes wrong. (I will learn Mibble : )

No matter what advice you take from anyone be sure to back everything up before you do anything. I have been copying my entire catalog folder and then doing a http database backup before making any major changes. You can always restore back. : )

Good luck.

Craig