• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

virtual product and Shipping Modules

grener

Hi,

I am french so escuse my "flow". :'(

I want propose two chooses :

-1 My virtual product to free download (ok)

-2 Virtual product to free download and shipping module to sell my product by CD

I want to oblige script to go in Shipping Modules ! :angry:

Thanks for you help :)

#1 is built in

#2 use a product attribute, with one set as the default for free download, and if they choose the attribute option to purchase the cd, then you add the price in the attribute.

#1 is built in

#2 use a product attribute, with one set as the default for free download, and if they choose the attribute option to purchase the cd, then you add the price in the attribute.

If i realise this during the validation of the order, i would not have the choice for the shiping modul but a higher price for each product

I want for my full order :

i would be possible to send it by compact disc by postmail and by FTP download

OR the last solution, by simple download

please no bumping up of the posts, it is against forum rules.

please detail out what you are trying to accomplish, as this is cryptic at best.

my understanding of what you were trying to do is to bypass the shipping for download.

thus, until you detail out what you are trying to accomplish AND quit going against forum rules, not much I can do to help you.

please no bumping up of the posts, it is against forum rules.

please detail out what you are trying to accomplish, as this is cryptic at best.

my understanding of what you were trying to do is to bypass the shipping for download.

thus, until you detail out what you are trying to accomplish AND quit going against forum rules, not much I can do to help you.

i apologize for bumping :(

i would like to set up my store so that when a customer decides to buy something he has the option of either downloading it, in which case the shipping should be bypassed, or buying it and having it posted to them, in which case shipping is needed.

I'm not sure exactly if you are having the same issue as me but here's an example:

If you have a product with a weight like a CD (to use your example) and you also have the option of downloading, unfortunately if someone chooses to download instead of the CD they will be charged shipping because the weight is configured in the product profile.

How do we bybass this? For instance, if someone choose the product-attribute for downloading what would be the logical way for us to bypass shipping.

A couple of work arounds are adding is possibly deducting an amount in the product attribute option but this represents a problem if the shipping is not a flat rate and is calculated live by an external shipping agency (prices change). Or you could create two products (which I want to avoid).

Does anyone have any other ideas. I've haven't come up with anything useful so far?

have two products, one virtual, one cd. or use the master products and make it work that way. slave 1 is downloadable, slave 2 is deliverable

have two products, one virtual, one cd.  or use the master products and make it work that way.  slave 1 is downloadable, slave 2 is deliverable

Hey Mibble where is that contribution at? That's exactly what I need :D

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so as I said I didn't want two different products for digital and non-digital. Well, I knew that any weight changes would have to be added to the product attributes. Luckily it looks like someone already figured out how to do it.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1622

I have not installed it or tested it or anything but I'm excited that I have something to start with or even resolve my issue.

The contribution allows you to add weight as a part of an attribute feature so I guess you could start with digital and then if someone opts for the "CD" version for example you would be able to add 1lb or something in addition to any other costs.

• 1 month later...

I wonder. Except for a minor flaw, that's all built in! I had mine set up about 10 minutes after installing my first osC shop :-)

Here's how:

Make a new product, like "eBook".

Give it a price, like 9.95 and a weight, like .09kg for a CD in a slimcase.

Create a product option "Version".

Define 2 option values, "CD" and "Download".

Define product's attributes: CD, say +2.00, and for the download version, specify a filename and expiry days.

E voil?!

The actual drawback using this method is if a customers orders 2 of your product, 1 for download and 1 for shipping (like he wants to have it NOW but also the CD). Since the article has a weight, the shipping modules will calculate 2x .09kg in this scenario.

For my shop, I simply disregarded it since I have a minimum shipping cost for up to .5kg anyway, and it's seldom enough to have somebody do this...

Regards,

M.

P.S.: And it doesn't charge for shipping on 'virtual' products... somebody clever has apparently foreseen this ;-)

I don't want to set the world on fire—I just want to start a flame in your heart.

osCommerce Contributions:

Class cc_show() v1.0 – Show Credit Cards, Gateways

More Product Weight v1.0

Archived