• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Are spiders OK ??

WiseWombat

Hi every one as I have been browsing through the forum lately the word spider has come up quite regularly to me and my understanding is that they help with search engine listings and if thats the case are they a bad thing because I realy dont know much about them. :blink:

( WARNING )

I think I know what Im talking about.

BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP

Hi every one as I have been browsing through the forum lately the word spider has come up quite regularly to me and my understanding is that they help with search engine listings and if thats the case are they a bad thing because I realy dont know much about them. :blink:

WiseWombat,

A spider is a program that crawls around the web (get the pun?) These programs are mostly run by search engine companies. When they find a page, they get the address, the title, keywords, description, and text, and store them in the search engine database.

They are very good for your store. This will allow people to find your store in a search engine.

ed

They are an automated program sent by search engines that will 'parse' through your website, to find out what content you have. Eventually, they will add your URLs to their 'index' to appear when someone types in a relevent key phrase.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

They are an automated program sent by search engines that will 'parse' through your website, to find out what content you have. Eventually, they will add your URLs to their 'index' to appear when someone types in a relevent key phrase.

Thanks so then if I have good key words listing ext it makes them all the better?

I have read articals in the forum about spiders reading and accessing protected files is this a common thing? And do spiders search your entire website or only spacific pages and if so what precurtions should you take to prevent this.

( WARNING )

Thanks so then if I have good key words listing ext it makes them all the better?

I'm not sure what you are asking.

You should use a robots.txt to keep spiders from parsing pages you do not wish them to.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

I'm not sure what you are asking.

You should use a robots.txt to keep spiders from parsing pages you do not wish them to.

Im just curious about what they do in general and how they work and to get a better understanding.

( WARNING )

The spiders are the search engines way of finding out about your site. If you do a search for your site on the web, it will have your title along with a description, page size and the like. This information was all gathered by spiders when they visited your site. The robots file tells the spiders what directories/files they are not supposed to visit.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived