• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Review Site - Your Opinion Please

blueedge

Please review Remmeer.com. (The store is live. So, if you register an account or place an order, please clearly indicate that it is a test. In that way, I can easily delete it.)

Although I would appreciate any and all suggestions, I?m most interested in comments regarding the following:

Overall Look and Design ? I realize that it looks pretty much like a stock design. Unfortunately, I?m not that creative. Do I need a web designer?

Search Engine Friendliness ? What can I do to make my pages SE friendlier?

Categories and Products ? For some, I know I need to add more text. What size graphic do most use for the small and large product pictures?

Checkout Process - To me, the checkout process is long. There are a number of screens that the customer must pass through. Then, the customer has to enter more info on the PayPal site. I?ve tried to make the process a little more clear so hopefully customers won?t get frustrated. For example, I have:

?Eliminated useless fields like ?suburb? on the account set-up page.

?Modified the ?where you are in the order process? graphic to be a bit more clear. I also placed a copy of it at the top of the pages so that it is more visible.

?Changed the wording of the PayPal option from ?PayPal IPN? to ?Credit Card or PayPal.? I also included a note about credit card payments for those not familiar with PayPal.

Is there anything that I can do to short the process? Or, am I overly worried?

I currently process payments through PayPal which, as you know, is SSL protected. I do not have SSL. So, the only ?unprotected? customer info entered on my site would be their name and address. I have read posts that state that SSL is critical even for customer name and address info, while others state that it is not necessary. How valuable is SSL in terms of customer confidence?

Thank you.

I dont know if its just me or not but I hate sites that are full screen. I don't like having the physically move my head to read the whole page. If I dont move my head, my eyeballs get tired from having to go to the extremes every line.

This is to everyone who might read this, not just your site.

If I was crafty, this would be a funny signature.

ryanf, thanks for the comment. I had wondered about the screen width. (When I first created the site, I was on a monitor that made everything appear bigger. I believe the resolution was 800 x 600. I thought it looked ok. Then, I got a new computer with a screen resolution of 1024 x 768. It does look different.) I think that I will change the width.

How/where do I make the change to the page width?

I have seen web sites that are centered and left aligned. Is there a preferred position?

Also, would you put anything in the background that is not taken up by the web page? Some sites have a colored background while other simply have white space on either side.

blueedge, if you were going to stay with full screen, you'd need to increase the font to make it easier to read. If not, most people preferred to have it centered. Since you're trying to attract happy spendy people, I recommend a light color background on the edges like an off white or simular.

I myself use a full screen site. monstertunes.net

You can center your site and make it smaller by encasing the whole site in a table and centering the table. I put a <center><table width="780"><tr><td> in the header and a </td></tr></table></center> I might have had to do a few other changes but it wasn't that bad. If you are unsure, there are some contribs that will do this for you. I wouldn't make it any bigger than 780 wide since when someone who has their screen at 800 x 600 it will then be full screen for them. If 780 is too big for 800x600 then lower it, you do not want any side scrolling even if its just a few pixels.

If I was crafty, this would be a funny signature.

As some have suggested, I have changed the page width to 748. I do think that it looks better. Thanks.

(For those of you that use a shipping estimator on the /catalog/shopping_cart.php page, I noticed that the width of the "country" field was making that page wider than the screen. I changed the width in the shipping estimator file within /includes/modules/ directory.)

Any other comments or suggestions? I appreciate the feedback!

Archived