• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

"Mr. 218"

I hope everyone will humor me. I've been cooling my heels in the hospital for a week, so I've had plenty of computer-deprivation time to think about this.

Last month I migrated all my hosted sites, including a couple of OSC sites, to a new, dedicated server. I had a great deal of kind help and mentoring from one of the Forum members here for the OSC sites, with the result that the migration was smooth and quite easy, with pre-testing time before "live."

Naturally now I get digests of server logs, and I find the requisite dodgy folk trying to get in with the usual assortment of lame usernames and passwords--none of which work, of course. One of these fellows shows up so regularly in my log that I've taken to calling him "Mr. 218" in honor of part of his IP address. (Of course I am being sexist. It could just as easily be "Ms 218.")

Once an evening or so, I've taken to checking the "who's online" at my own OSC site, which supports a hobby of mine. Behold, there is "Mr. 218." He shows up several times a week, spending 15 or 20 minutes on the OSC "Write Reviews" page. I haven't checked clients' site.

I can't help wondering (and wondered while I was in the hospital) what "Mr. 218" thinks he can accomplish by studying the "Write Reviews" page so carefully. Having looked everything over, I don't think he can get into any mischief--unless, of course, he decides to write a bad review. It would be entertaining to hear speculations on what mischief he *thinks* he can get into.

Anne

(So very glad to be parked in front of a monitor again...)

Undoubtedly a spider.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Maybe it's not a spider, as spiders don't:

try to get in with the usual assortment of lame usernames and passwords--none of which work

A person has to be logged on to the store to be able to write a review, so their user account will give you more information.

:heart:, osCommerce

In a sort of collective response to all who were kind enough to write back:

The IP address belongs to an ISP in Hong Kong, which is on the other side of the globe from my own location. I could surely e-mail the "abuse@" address provided, but my impression is that one doesn't want to tick off the young-script-people.

I don't believe it's a spider because it attempts to Telnet into the server as root, guest, admin, using passwords such as "password," and other assorted creative gems of naming.

To the best of my knowledge, I've never seen him/her on the "reviews" page as anything but "Guest." It stands to reason, as I think of it now, that one would have to be logged-in to create a review.

This particular store, in its pre-OSC days, endured a merciless (60 days straight) onslaught from someone trying to get "at" its cgi-bin and/or cgi-sys directories. Useless in the long run, but very creepy. I just wish my friend Mr. 218 would get tired and go someplace else!! I doubt OSC is going to let him try anything too cute.

Anne

Archived