• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

After configuration is complete

ebutlerenterprises

Hi all,

Now that osc is installed/configured on my server i have a couple of questions if I may..

I get the following at the top of the page...

Warning: Installation directory exists at: /home/*****/******/catalog/install. Please remove this directory for security reasons.

Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: /home/****/****/catalog/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file.

What does this mean?

Also if I just put my url in it bring up the index of.... page not go to the store, I realise that it isnt complete yet just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction please.

Mike

When you install the package, a copy of the install directory is placed on your server. This needs to be removed or renamed. The other warning means the permissions for your congifure files are not set correctly. Set them to read only. If you don't know how to do this, do a search for setting permissions. This question has come up four or five times in the last few weeks so it should be easy to find.

As for your last problem, can you re-word it. I don't understand what you are asking.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

When you install the package, a copy of the install directory is placed on your server.  This needs to be removed or renamed.  The other warning means the permissions for your congifure files are not set correctly.  Set them to read only.  If you don't know how to do this, do a search for setting permissions.  This question has come up four or five times in the last few weeks so it should be easy to find.

As for your last problem, can you re-word it. I don't understand what you are asking.

Jack

Jack, I think this is what he wants. Instead of having to go to http://www.mydomain.com/catalog/ to access the catalog, how do you get the catalog to work from the "root directory", ie from http://www.mydomain.com/.

BTW, I'd appreciate an answer too since I'm struggling with the same problem.

Thanks a lot!

Scott

It's a common question and if you search for it you will find a lot of explanations. Here are the basics:

You have two configurations files: admin/includes/configure.php and catalog/includes/configure.php. They both hold paths to your shop. If you look at them you will see something like www.mysite.com/shop/catalog. What you need to do in both files is to replace all occurrences of mysite.com/shop/catalog with mysite.com/. In other words, remove the shop/catalog (or just shop if that's all you have). Leave any trailing slashes (/) if they are there.

Now you need to move your files. Let's say your current shop is at www.mysite.com/shop/catalog. This means that all of your files are currently located in the catalog directory. You need to move them all to the root directory (www.mysite.com). Once that is done, you are done.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived