• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

please can someone give me advice

pete76uk

they are talking about an ssl certificate. you can find a host who uses a shared ssl or you can purchase one of your own for installation.

Couple of quick corrections.

You don't have a merchant account through 2checkout. THEY have a merchant account, and you will be borrowing it to process ccs. This is called a third party processor, and usually, they are MUCH more expensive, especially if you process more than $1000 per month in sales.

Also, you don't necessarily have to *have* an SSL, although it it always recommended. With 2checkout, there are 2 ways you can use them to process payments. Either you can redirect your customers to 2checout, where they will give their CC details, and return to your site. Or, you can collect the cc details yourself and pass them to 2checkout, who returns an approval/decline code. Both of these methods are available with OSC, although the former requires you install a mod.

In the case of the former, the SSL isn't REQUIRED because the site you redirect customers to is already on a secure page. However, since you are still collectiong customer details when they create an account, you should always do so on a secure server.

Besides, many places sell good SSfor only about $49 per year now. Ask your web host for their recommendation, since it's your web host that will need to install it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Couple of quick corrections.

You don't have a merchant account through 2checkout. THEY have a merchant account, and you will be borrowing it to process ccs. This is called a third party processor, and usually, they are MUCH more expensive, especially if you process more than $1000 per month in sales.

Also, you don't necessarily have to *have* an SSL, although it it always recommended. With 2checkout, there are 2 ways you can use them to process payments. Either you can redirect your customers to 2checout, where they will give their CC details, and return to your site. Or, you can collect the cc details yourself and pass them to 2checkout, who returns an approval/decline code. Both of these methods are available with OSC, although the former requires you install a mod.

In the case of the former, the SSL isn't REQUIRED because the site you redirect customers to is already on a secure page. However, since you are still collectiong customer details when they create an account, you should always do so on a secure server.

Besides, many places sell good SSfor only about $49 per year now. Ask your web host for their recommendation, since it's your web host that will need to install it.

Thankyou wizardandwars ,id rather collect the cc details myself still using oscommerce and then pass them to 2checkout, who returns an approval/decline code.how do I do this ? I know iam asking a lot of you with these question so even if you could guide me to a helpfull site that would be much appreciated.

The default 2checkout module works this way.

Admin>>molules>>payment>>2checkout>>edit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Archived