• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Removing oscsid in a url

megame

Hi,everyone

i am new to oscommerce, i own an site to sell to something on my oscommerce store, but when someone access my site there is a long url in address bar like this:http://www.mysite.com/index.php?osCsid=98c51069d85ab336d046211c5aef5aef&cPath=2, how can i remove the osCsid query for the purpose of search engine friendliness?

You only want to prevent Spiders from having SIDs. You dod that by setting 'Prevent Spider Sessions' to 'True' in the admin.

If you want ot prevent customers from using SIDs, then you set 'Force Cookie Use' to 'true'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

wizardsandwars, now i face a new problem is that if i prevent customers from using SIDs by setting 'Force Cookie Use' to 'true' then someone who accesses my site just couldn't continue to buy anything. how can i enable customers to buy something but yet there is not boring osCsid in the url?Thank you once again.

wizardsandwars, now i face a new problem is that if  i prevent customers from using SIDs by setting 'Force Cookie Use' to 'true' then someone who accesses my site just couldn't continue to buy anything. how can i enable customers to  buy something but yet  there is not boring osCsid in the url?Thank you once again.

If you are going to allow customers to purchase even if they do not have cookies enabled in their browser, then you must allow SIDs in the URL. Otherwise, for those customers, there is no way to keep track of what they have in their cart.

I'm afraid that the only two choices are....

1.) Force customers to have cookies enabled (this is recommened for very busy shops). This will prevent SIDs from being attached to the URL.

2.) Allow customers to purchase, even if they do not have cookies enabled. This will use SIDs in the URL for customers that do not have cookies enabled.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

If you want ot prevent customers from using SIDs, then you set 'Force Cookie Use' to 'true'

that's not true. i have 'Force Cookie Use' set to 'false' and the SID doesn't appear in the url. in fact when i tried setting 'Force Cookie Use' set to 'true' the shopping cart stopped working because it said that the browser wouldn't accept cookies even though every browser i tested it on was set to accept all cookies....

anyway, someone emailed me the solution to get rid of the SID in the url and it worked:

"You have to make sure the HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN is set to your main IP address or site address, then the HTTP_COOKIE_PATH should be the exact path of your catalog. I use '/' as my path since my catalog is in the main folder."

also, you have to make sure you created a folder in the root directory of your site and name it the same name you used for your 'Session Directory' in the admin section under sessions. that folder also needs to have it's permissions set to 766.

once you have everything configured correctly the SID will go away. it does show up on every time you go to the store but will disappear after the first page.

I think you're going to confuse this poor guy. If you set 'Force Cookie Use' to 'False' and a customer comes to your site, and their browser they use does NOT accept cookies, then the URL WILL have an SID in it. No matter what your cookie domain is, no matter what the cookie path is, and no matter wheher or not you have a folder in your root directory.

The SID WILL NOT go away for customers that DO NOT accept cookies. The cookie is the only way OSC can keep track of carts of customers that DO NOT accept cookies.

If you don't want ANYONE that visits your site to EVER have an SID, then you have to set 'Force Cookie Use' to 'True'.

Thank you ,fribhey and wizardsandwars.You two can visit this site :www.batterymall.com.au, it enables customer to purchase but has no SID in the url at all.how can they fulfill this process?i think that it must has rewritten its URLs by using MOD_REWRITE.for search engine such as Google you know ,it'd rather index some static pages than dynamic pages.IS THAT POSSIBLE?

it will if the customer does not accept cookies.

• 1 year later...

Yeah well, how come if I turn cookies off on my browser and I go to discountcandleshop.com I can still shop and put things in my cart and I don't see the session id, ever, even at the very beggining?

Explain that one!!!

This has *got* to be thr riddle of the month!!!!

I find the fun in everything.

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

I have been figuring how to remove oscsid in a url for quite some time, and it is still unable to work.

I do not want to enable Force cookies as my customers cant login and buy products from my store.

Is there any other advice? Please help.. thanks

check your configure.php files. If the cookie paths aren't set right it could explain the problem. The session cookie is sufficient to eliminate the session from the url. So you shouldn't even need to force cookies.

have you got the latest osC updates?

you can click here for the latest updates/patches and manually edit your files and that should take care of the sid's

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

• 10 months later...
it will if the customer does not accept cookies.

I tried changing the HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN to my ip address, but it still shows when cookies are enabled in firefox. has anyone else found another solution? i have force cookie use - false. i want the user without cookies to have a sid and the user with cookies not to have a sid in the url

Archived