• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Non-shopping pages (articles, news, etc)

_doctor

I want to make my shop to be more attractive both for search engines and for people. I am going to add there articles about bad&good sides of tobacco, its history, details on cigarette types (e.g. European/US/Russian differences), etc. This would also allow me to link to article pages from tobacco-prohibiting sites and catalogs.

The problem is that I want these articles/news to look like a part of a site. I.e. I want an infobox on the front page that shows a paragraph from last/random article, I want articles to be surrounded with usual shop stuff (header, categories, banners), etc.

Could you advice any contribution to integrate articles into store structure?

Have you ever done anything like this?

I want to make my shop to be more attractive both for search engines and for people. I am going to add there articles about bad&good sides of tobacco, its history, details on cigarette types (e.g. European/US/Russian differences), etc. This would also allow me to link to article pages from tobacco-prohibiting sites and catalogs.

The problem is that I want these articles/news to look like a part of a site. I.e. I want an infobox on the front page that shows a paragraph from last/random article, I want articles to be surrounded with usual shop stuff (header, categories, banners), etc.

Could you advice any contribution to integrate articles into store structure?

Have you ever done anything like this?

The best way to do it is copy one of the existing pages and rename it ie: conditions.php to info.php

You need to also copy and rename the language file and change the text

change the includes to the new lang file

Your info.php file should say require info.php instead of conditions.php in this line

require(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '/' . FILENAME_CONDITIONS);

to

require(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '/' . FILENAME_INFO);

add the file to the filenames.php

again just copy and change this line

define('FILENAME_CONDITIONS', 'conditions.php');

to

define('FILENAME_INFO', 'info.php');

You can make as many pages as you want and add them to the information box or anyplace else for that matter.

There was a good step by step explanation on how to do this in the wiki but I tried linking to it this morning and all the wiki links are now going to the new knowledge base. That is sad, much as I think the new layout is better there was still a lot of info in the wiki that was not included in the new knowledge base.

Anyway it is not really very hard. Give it a shot and if you have any problems post the error message you get.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

Thanx, Richard

Actually I used this approach already for creating "conditions of use" page.

The bad point is that it requires special care fo each page added. I want articles/news to be added more or less regularly -> I want some more or less automated way to add them and hope that somebody created it already.

I am going to try some News contribution, but hopefully there is something more close to my demands.

I am using the Article Manager contribution, but I was also just enquiring if Newsdesk would be more appropriate.

I don't know much about Newsdesk or its distinguishing features :)

Article Manager is pretty good, the info is organized into a tree topic/article structure - I don't know exactly how Newsdesk works

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Right, thumbs up for Article Manager. Its got a lot of configuration options, article reviews, article abstracts, authors, and cross-sell links to related products. The infobox doesn't show a paragraph as you mentioned, but it has links to New Articles, All Articles, and of course your topics.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride..." -HST

Archived