• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Ads by Google

Salvo

Hi all

I have seen in many sites with the Ads by Goodle advertising...

I read a bit of what they say, but I don't understand how one earns or makes money and How much is likely to make from it?

One get paid when someone clicks on the link? How much.. ?

One get paid when the links are shown? How much.. ?

Is it worth it or I better find businesses that buy my banners?

Thank for you assistance.

Salvo

It really depends on the number of clicks the ads receive. If you have a lot of visitors/month (thousands), then you may be able to sell advertising on your site. If your traffic is low, then it is doubtful anyone would want to bother. AdSense is free although they do require that you have no other advertising on the site. It doesn't take much to set it up so it may be best if you just try it.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi

so, One get paid only if the surfer clicks on the link and get nothing if the surfer just look at it... <b>am I correct?</b>

Do you happen to know what the going rate for clicks?

I don't wanto regester even though is free to find that I advertise other site and I get little for it...

Thanks again

Salvo

Based on Adwords I reckon it will be mostly 5-10 cents a click. Still if you have 100,000 visitors a month and 2% click an advert that's maybe $100 - $200. Methinks it is much better to sell them something :P

I cannot seem to get adsense working along with quite a few people on this forum. I think it may be an issue with our ssl certificate and knowing what goes where in the banner section in admin.

Could anyone post there banner code or give advise on getting going?

Adsense doesn't work with SSL. I had the same problem and contacted google about it. They said they were aware of the problem but did not currently have a secure connection for the ads. What I ended up doing is only showing the page on non-SSL pages.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 3 weeks later...

Where can i paste the adsense code that will not affect the SSL pages?

Adsense doesn't work with SSL.  I had the same problem and contacted google about it.  They said they were aware of the problem but did not currently have a secure connection for the ads.  What I ended up doing is only showing the page on non-SSL pages. 

Jack

I've replied to your email with the answer, but for anyone that may see this later on, I have the following in my right column. So when a non-ssl page is being shown, adsense will display.

<?php  if ($request_type == NONSSL) {   /* only show adsense in NON SSL else it causes warning */
?>

PLACE YOUR ADSENSE CODE HERE

<?php } ?>

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

Yes that can be a problem if you are unaware that you can ban urls from showing on in your ads.

Everyone should be able to use the ads search box. I've found by simply placing this on the site I get around $50 dollars a month and thats 50% of my server costs. The main point I would make about it is eveyone gets people coming to their site often by mistake. These people perhaps don't fit your "buyer" profile but by putting a google ad search box on your site you give them an easy option to exit while you make cash from people who would otherwise not contribute to your income.

The amount earned from the clicks depends on the top click price entered by each advertiser. In areas like holidays and software it can be as high as $2.00 or more but the very minimum per click is 0.05

In the search ads someone has to click twice, one to do the search and then a click on the top 4 places to earn you cash.

Dave.

the problem i had with adsense was weeding out my competitions ads.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

OSC user for years and no coder, so I've earned my stripes.

Feel free to private message me.

• 2 weeks later...

Where exactly are you going to stick the GoogleAds? On your osCommerce site? You do realise that GoogleAds are content sensitive and they will serve up adverts based on your page content. Therefore if you are selling shoes and your page is all about shoes then the GoogleAd will be from a site that has shoes for sale, and they won't be your shoes. GoogleAds are brilliant on Blogs but not on your ecommerce site.

On the other hand if you want to advertise on GoogleAds thats another matter!...

You may have missed the part about weeding out the competition above. I use them and they work fine. But I limit google from showing competitors that sell at lower cost. Adsense also displays sites that are not competitors but complementary to my product.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Everybody works so hard to keep visitors from clicking away from their stores, why promote something which will take someone away from your store? It just doesn't make sense. Especially for the little bit of money you may gain.

If you're not making money off of the product you're selling, then you should look for methods to enhance the sale of your products - not for ways to invite people to leave your site.

It's a service. Do you truly think because someone is on your site they are not going to go back to google and look for other sites? By controlling what they are looking at, somewhat, you may increase your chance of a sale.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Do you truly think because someone is on your site they are not going to go back to google and look for other sites? 

Ah, I do believe I have spotted the falacy here! :blink:

What makes you think they came from Google in the first place?

I know that Google is good but I wouldn't expect more than 20% of my vistors to arrive from there.

I'm sure you know that it doesn't matter. Most people using the web for searches are aware of google. There is just no way not to be - it's everywhere. So trying to isolate yourself and prevent your visitors from seeing other sites is folly.

Also, if my site is any indication of average, 62% of my visitors come from google.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Adsense doesn't work with SSL.  I had the same problem and contacted google about it.  They said they were aware of the problem but did not currently have a secure connection for the ads.  What I ended up doing is only showing the page on non-SSL pages. 

Jack

I have SSL and I am running Google ads. Works fine. When someone clicks to go to the secure page, they get a notice saying some of the content is not secure, and they have the option of viewing it or not. Other than that, it is seamless.

No, you are missing the point of SSL. When you transfer to the google site, it is no longer SSL. That is why you are seeing that message. Does the link work - yes. Does it work with your SSL certificate - no.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Ah, I do believe I  have spotted the falacy here! :blink:

What makes you think they came from Google in the first place?

I know that Google is good but I wouldn't expect more than 20% of my vistors to arrive from there.

That wouldn't be the case here, either. About 70% of all our visitors come from google, too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Everybody works so hard to keep visitors from clicking away from their stores, why promote something which will take someone away from your store?  It just doesn't make sense.  Especially for the little bit of money you may gain.

But anyone who checks their site stats will see a very large percent of people who come to the site and only stay a very short while. If you where searching for an item and entered a site which didn't contain what you want what would your natural instinct be ? carry on searching ? We all provide these people with a way to exit - it's the X in the corner of the browser. I just give them another option, the option to continue to search using google and when they do I earn money. A small amount yes but it pays for my server at the very least, my google cheque this month is over $150.

If you're not making money off of the product you're selling, then you should look for methods to enhance the sale of your products - not for ways to invite people to leave your site.

I am making money because I provide items people want and a great service to back it up.

The biggest struggle businesses have is getting someone to come to their site. Once someone comes to your site you have a level of control over what they do. You want to guide them into buying your product, it can be the product they were looking for or if you don't have that item you can guide them into buying something else. You want each page to have a carrot, something which leads the customer to the next step. Ideally you should only have one carrot per page and make it easy for the person to follow that carrot. Having adversisement for other websites is a distraction and leads the customer away from your site. It goes against all the marketing books I have read.

The good thing about an open and free economy is that we all get to try our own methods and let the market decide what will work.

The problem isn't with OSC. Google doesn't have a secure page for AdSense so there is nothing you can do about that. If you want to use it from a secure page then you have to accept the popup stating the page is not secure.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 1 year later...
I've replied to your email with the answer, but for anyone that may see this later on, I have the following in my right column. So when a non-ssl page is being shown, adsense will display.
<?php ?if ($request_type == NONSSL) { ? /* only show adsense in NON SSL else it causes warning */
?>

PLACE YOUR ADSENSE CODE HERE

<?php } ?>

Jack

Hi - is this still a valid workaround?

Any concidering goodleads and concerned about the compatition elliment might want to concider this solution;

http://www.adbrite.com

Deliver your own adsense type service to advertisers. Just any option I found I don't get anything for telling you about it.

Archived