• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO Assistant

Jack_mcs

Tonight I noticed that the get index position for yahoo failed to open the remote file (google and msn are ok).

Anyone else noticed this?

I just tried it here and it worked OJ. Maybe yahoo was just busy when you tried it?

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I just tried it here and it worked OJ. Maybe yahoo was just busy when you tried it?

Jack

Hello Jack

Yes, it is working again. Pretty odd though, and I did try it a few times.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
There seems to be something going on with google since I am seeing the same thing. I put in one of my sites, which consistently rank at position 1 or 2 for all three search engines and it doesn't show up on google. If I try to view the source on google the browser hangs and reports errors. So they are changing, or maybe have changed, how they list their results. Until that settles down and their code can be checked there's nothing to be done.

Jack

Hi Jack

Just using the SEO tool tonight which has been working great up until now but the same problem as above seems to have returned with Google is it possible they have again changed how they list their results.

My site: http://designer-fashion-accessories.com

search term: Chanel Designers Scarf

is at number 2 for the search term thanks to a number of your contributions and tips but today is no longer in the SEO Assistant- Index Position, search tool possibly when you have time you could run a check

Thanks

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

Locate the line (around position 12) starting with $condition in the admin/includes/modules/seo_google_position.php file and change it to

$conditions = "<cite>(.*)</cite>";

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Jack (or anyone that supports the idea)

The following url leads to an article that talks about Google saying that no sites will be penalized for duplicate content but they will be affected. After looking in Webmaster Tools in my Google account I found that Google flagged several pages for duplicate content, titles and meta tags.

http://www.lilengine.com/news/google-dupli...this-issue-480/

How can this be fixed? Is there any way to use Header Tags Controller to avoid duplicate content?

Sounds like a job for Jack! Can a contribution be made to avoid duplicate content?

Thanks for any thoughts and comments.

Well the way I understood the point behind jacks contribution was to avoid these problems ( Duplicate content) within OSC.

It works.

You can virtually control every page ( couple Pseudo of pages left left out :rolleyes:) and give them individual name meta tags: etc... with this contribution avoiding these problems with Google.

For OSC users who would rather have a WWW as start instead of http:// please remember to do a rewrite ( Add TO htaccess ) in the htaccess....

which should look something like this

Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^my-site\.com

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.my-site.com/$1 [R=permanent,L]

The above example is when your site is www.my-site.com

if you would rather have http://my-site.com

Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^my-site\.com

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://my-site.com/$1 [R=permanent,L]

Then go to Google webmaster and verify

The following url leads to an article that talks about Google saying that no sites will be penalized for duplicate content but they will be affected. After looking in Webmaster Tools in my Google account I found that Google flagged several pages for duplicate content, titles and meta tags.

How can this be fixed? Is there any way to use Header Tags Controller to avoid duplicate content?

Sounds like a job for Jack! Can a contribution be made to avoid duplicate content?

Edited by joli1811

There's a thread here dealing with this subject and a contribution has come about due to it. Although, as I mentioned in that thread, I think it is a non-issue. If having the other pages listed as not part of the group of duplicate content pages is important to you, then you would need to add something to those pages to prevent that. But that's not a subject for this thread.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

There's a thread here dealing with this subject and a contribution has come about due to it. Although, as I mentioned in that thread, I think it is a non-issue. If having the other pages listed as not part of the group of duplicate content pages is important to you, then you would need to add something to those pages to prevent that. But that's not a subject for this thread.

Jack

Thanks for the reply. I was simply giving the link to the article to get a better understanding for myself and others who may be intimidated by Google's policies on duplicate content. After installing this contribution and Header Tags SEO, I'm more comfortable about the content of my pages. I believe it solved my duplicate content issue. One thing is for sure, SEO is an going process. Maybe after Googlebot crawls my site again some of the flagged pages would get 'de-flagged'.

The contribution you referred me to is kind of vague in its purpose to me or my lack of knowledge of SEO could be the factor. I may install and draw my own conclusion. I installed SEO Assistant and none of my pages are in the supplimental index so I believe my rankings in search results have suffered due to Lack of content and lack of keyword distribution.

I installed both SEO Assistant & Header Tags SEO. Great work.

Please forgive me for sounding like a dunce in my previous post. I was just alarmed. Thanks for responding.

Thanks for the reply. I was simply giving the link to the article to get a better understanding for myself and others who may be intimidated by Google's policies on duplicate content. After installing this contribution and Header Tags SEO, I'm more comfortable about the content of my pages. I believe it solved my duplicate content issue. One thing is for sure, SEO is an going process. Maybe after Googlebot crawls my site again some of the flagged pages would get 'de-flagged'.

The contribution you referred me to is kind of vague in its purpose to me or my lack of knowledge of SEO could be the factor. I may install and draw my own conclusion. I installed SEO Assistant and none of my pages are in the supplimental index so I believe my rankings in search results have suffered due to Lack of content and lack of keyword distribution.

I installed both SEO Assistant & Header Tags SEO. Great work.

Please forgive me for sounding like a dunce in my previous post. I was just alarmed. Thanks for responding.

There's no need to apologize at all and I am sorry if my reply made you feel that way. Posting the article was helpful. I follow such things but hadn't seen that one yet. Actually, others had already requested such a feature from Header Tags and, after thinking about it, especially in light of what google has said about duplicate content, I will be adding a feature in Header Tags to, hopefully, help with that.

Pages shouldn't be in the supplemental index,so that's a good thing.

I wasn't promoting that contribution I referenced. I haven't looked at and I'm not aware of any results from it so I can't say if it is worth it or not. I wouldn't suggest installing a contribution just because of a perceived problem. You may want to wait a few months on it and see what othes say.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

There's no need to apologize at all and I am sorry if my reply made you feel that way. Posting the article was helpful. I follow such things but hadn't seen that one yet. Actually, others had already requested such a feature from Header Tags and, after thinking about it, especially in light of what google has said about duplicate content, I will be adding a feature in Header Tags to, hopefully, help with that.

Pages shouldn't be in the supplemental index,so that's a good thing.

I wasn't promoting that contribution I referenced. I haven't looked at and I'm not aware of any results from it so I can't say if it is worth it or not. I wouldn't suggest installing a contribution just because of a perceived problem. You may want to wait a few months on it and see what othes say.

Jack

Adding that feature would be great and make others feel better. Google being the leading SE, most SEO efforts and modifications are built around Google's policies. Maybe one day you could place a feature in SEO Assistant first that could find which pages are flagged by Google as Duplicate Content.

This may help others:

Click on the website for which you have submitted a sitemap.

Once there, click on 'content analysis'.

If you have any pages flagged for duplicate content, they would be found there.

At the moment I have pages flagged for duplicate meta descriptions, short meta descriptions, missing title tags, and duplicate title tags.

I included this information so it may help someone solve these isses they may be experiencing.

Also, hopefully Jack can add features to both Header Tags SEO and SEO Assistant to help us out with these issues.

Thanks for any help and comments.

Edited by discxpress

It's better to post tips like this in the tricks and tips forum since more people would be likely to see it.

As for SEO Assistant and duplicate content pages, there's no simple way to check that via the contribution since it is not something google lists. A few checks can be done via the code and the difference may be duplicate content pages but they may not be either so I don't see that that provides much useful information, whch is why I haven't added it. The supplemental pages option can be used for about the same purpose though.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It's better to post tips like this in the tricks and tips forum since more people would be likely to see it.

As for SEO Assistant and duplicate content pages, there's no simple way to check that via the contribution since it is not something google lists. A few checks can be done via the code and the difference may be duplicate content pages but they may not be either so I don't see that that provides much useful information, whch is why I haven't added it. The supplemental pages option can be used for about the same purpose though.

Jack

Hi Jack

since today I am getting a new error with Google,Yahoo and msn

Unable to open remote file http://www.google.com/search?as_q=Yamaha+R...ges&start=0.

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/xxxx/admin/includes/modules/seo_position.php on line 110

Unable to open remote file http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=Yamah...=0&count=20.

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/xxxxxxxx/admin/includes/modules/seo_position.php on line 110

Unable to open remote file http://search.yahoo.com/search?_adv_prop=w...mp;n=100&b=.

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/xxxxx/public_html/xxxxx/admin/includes/modules/seo_position.php on line 110

Do you think this is temporary??

Any advice

Thanks John

Hi Jack

since today I am getting a new error with Google,Yahoo and msn

Unable to open remote file http://www.google.com/search?as_q=Yamaha+R...ges&start=0.

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/xxxx/admin/includes/modules/seo_position.php on line 110

Unable to open remote file http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=Yamah...=0&count=20.

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/xxxxxxxx/admin/includes/modules/seo_position.php on line 110

Unable to open remote file http://search.yahoo.com/search?_adv_prop=w...mp;n=100&b=.

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/xxxxx/public_html/xxxxx/admin/includes/modules/seo_position.php on line 110

Do you think this is temporary??

Any advice

Thanks John

Probably it is your web host who has stuffed you up (as has mine).

Hello,

I've installed SEO assistant, but it is seems that is not working fine.

When I click on Page Rank after have typed my domain "www.plixx.com.br" the following error appears:

"Failed to read url: www.plixx.com.br"

When I click on Get Position using the search term grampeador c240a for which my domain www.plixx.com.br is the first on Google, the following message appears:

The site www.plixx.com.br is not in the top 10 for the term grampeador c240a on Google

Do you have some tip?

Thank you in advance

The PR problem is probably due to the .com.br. I will have to look into that. But index position works correctly when I try it here.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello,

I've installed SEO assistant, but it is seems that is not working fine.

When I click on Page Rank after have typed my domain "www.plixx.com.br" the following error appears:

"Failed to read url: www.plixx.com.br"

When I click on Get Position using the search term grampeador c240a for which my domain www.plixx.com.br is the first on Google, the following message appears:

The site www.plixx.com.br is not in the top 10 for the term grampeador c240a on Google

Do you have some tip?

Thank you in advance

probably your webhost, ask them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...