• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO Assistant

Jack_mcs

The first problem is due to the css in your file. You can try moving that to an external file and it might not count it.

The other seems to be something on your site that the code can't handle. I am getting an error here too (though different than yours). I would try cleaning up the file first. Javascript and css code should be in external files since that are counted as words by the search engines and that will though your keyword density off.

Jack

Hi Jack,

Thank you for your reply.

Could you please give me further help:

1) KD

I think the keywords are taken from my information pages as they are in html format and those words (ul, div) appear all over the pages. I am thinking of disallowing these pages in my robots.txt file as I don't need those pages indexed anyway, then I expect the words won't be found.

Using html was the best way I found to create these pages as it was very awkward with php, and I wouldn't dare to reformat them using the stylesheet.css. And regarding javascript, I'm even worst!

Is this robots solution a good idea?

2) Failed URL

I am very concerned about that error as I wouldn't want it to exclude my site from ranking.

Unfortunately I didn't really understand your reply, sorry!

Just one thought, when I use the search Index Position my site is found so I take it my url is ok.

My Alexa ranking is "none". Could that explain why the search says "failed to read url" when searching the Page Rank?

Florence

Edited by cleverflo

1) KD

I think the keywords are taken from my information pages as they are in html format and those words (ul, div) appear all over the pages. I am thinking of disallowing these pages in my robots.txt file as I don't need those pages indexed anyway, then I expect the words won't be found.

Using html was the best way I found to create these pages as it was very awkward with php, and I wouldn't dare to reformat them using the stylesheet.css. And regarding javascript, I'm even worst!

2) Failed URL

I am very concerned about that error as I wouldn't want it to exclude my site from ranking.

Just one thought, when I use the search Index Position my site is found so I take it my url is ok.

My Alexa ranking is "none". Could that explain why the search says "failed to read url" when searching the Page Rank?

Florence

1 - When the KD report it ran, it is ran on a page, not a site. So the result you are seeing is for your home page, assuming you entered www.pebblestar.com. In looking at your code, those words appear to be coming from the menu code you are using. Don't disallow the information pages sinceone advantage of them is to provide more information for the search engines.

2 - You have a redirect on your site to force ssl for all pages. If you go to http://www.pebblestar.com, after it loads you are on https://www.pebblestar.com. This serves no purpose. Plus, you have a non-secure link on yourpage so the first thing that happens is a warning dialog pops up. If I were to visit your site to purchase something and saw that, I would just leave. You should fix that error and change the ssl so it only works on the pages where it is really needed.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

Thank you for your reply.

Could you please give me further help:

1) KD

2) Failed URL

Florence

Hi Jack,

Thanks to you, I've more or less sorted my KD issue. My problem was in my categorie_css file (linked to the index) and I moved the css into my stylesheet and it still worked! No problems!

Now my KD doesn't show "suckerdiv" or "ul" anymore. However it shows "accessoriesbraceletspiercing" as a whole word instead of accessories, bracelets, piercing. I can't see the category words in my file so I don't really know how they can be attached, maybe it's something to do with the <li>. I will write a post in the relevant contribution forum.

2) PR

I'm working on that httpS redirection. It was ok until I installed Adsense. Now it's a question of do I want my website to show it is secure on all pages, or do I want the Ads...

Thank you once again for your help.

2) PR

I'm working on that httpS redirection. It was ok until I installed Adsense. Now it's a question of do I want my website to show it is secure on all pages, or do I want the Ads...

Thank you once again for your help.

It isn't an either-or situation. There is code posted here on the forums that is used to disable the link for non-secure pages or you can use googles secure link all of the time. Just search for google adwords and you should be able to find the relevant posts.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jack,

Great contribution, I have been using it for ages now.

Since I upgraded it I haven't been able to do my page rank due to the failed to read url.www.yabbadabbado I have tried to the best of my abilities to go through this thread and change the program to reflect this business with the check sum etc but to no avail. Also I have noticed that through the Google Toolbar I have actually lost any page rank I had (this is the most annoying thing) Also, one other thing, I am only interested in www.google.co.uk is there anyway I can alter this to search only .co.uk info?

Your help would be greatly appreciated and I do realise how much of your time this sort of thing takes up.

Regards

Steve

Hi Jack,

Great contribution, I have been using it for ages now.

Since I upgraded it I haven't been able to do my page rank due to the failed to read url.www.yabbadabbado I have tried to the best of my abilities to go through this thread and change the program to reflect this business with the check sum etc but to no avail. Also I have noticed that through the Google Toolbar I have actually lost any page rank I had (this is the most annoying thing) Also, one other thing, I am only interested in www.google.co.uk is there anyway I can alter this to search only .co.uk info?

Your help would be greatly appreciated and I do realise how much of your time this sort of thing takes up.

Nothing was changed in my last version that would have changed how the page rank code worked. I haven't had time to look at why that fails for some sites still so I don't have an answer for you.

Most sites lost PR with the changes google made a few months ago so it doesn't really matter that yours went down since its relative position is most likely still the same.

To change the site that it searches, there are a number of files that reference google.com. You will need to search them and change each one. For example, in modules/seo_position.php, there is this line

case "Google":  $filename = "http://www.google.com/search?as_q=$query".

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...
It isn't an either-or situation. There is code posted here on the forums that is used to disable the link for non-secure pages or you can use googles secure link all of the time. Just search for google adwords and you should be able to find the relevant posts.

Jack

Hi Jack,

Thank you, I have found and added the code.

For info, regarding my page rank showing "failed url", now it's ok, my site is found and PR shows 0.

I assume the reason it failed before was because my site was new so it wasn't ranked yet. Or maybe it's because I had some errors in html validation which I have now corrected.

Best regards,

Flo

How can I fix this? For now I have commented it out.

Warning: file(http://www.hotbot.com/default.asp?query=linkdomain%3Awww.c57.us&ps=&loc=searchbox&tab=web&provKey=Inktomi): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 403 Forbidden in admin/includes/functions/seo_link_popularity.php on line 77

Warning: implode(): Bad arguments. in admin/includes/functions/seo_link_popularity.php on line 77

Warning: file(http://www.hotbot.com/default.asp?query=linkdomain%3Awww.c57.us&ps=&loc=searchbox&tab=web&provKey=Inktomi): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 403 Forbidden in /admin/includes/functions/seo_link_popularity.php on line 77

Warning: implode(): Bad arguments. in admin/includes/functions/seo_link_popularity.php on line 77

You can change this line in that file

$data = strtolower(strip_tags(implode("", file($path))));

to

$data = strtolower(strip_tags(implode("", @file($path))));

But the code is poorly written. It is probably failing because the file is not being opened and that should be checked before attempting to use it. The reason of the failure may be that your server doesn't have the open url option set. You should ask your host about that.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 1 month later...
You can change this line in that file

to

$data = strtolower(strip_tags(implode("", @file($path))));

But the code is poorly written. It is probably failing because the file is not being opened and that should be checked before attempting to use it. The reason of the failure may be that your server doesn't have the open url option set. You should ask your host about that.

Jack

Jack, I've got this exact problem. allow_open_url is definitely on, as a quick phpinfo() confirmed. What's interesting is that the code works great from my dev site, but throws these errors on live. So it's some find of configuration error, but I don't know what. I do know that some of them seem to be the result of 404 and 403 errors, but I don't know how that can be as the dev site works fine. It's definitely NOT related to open_url as far as I can tell. In fact, if I shut off allow_open_url in php.ini I don't get these errors (though, I do get other errors).

It is probably a difference in the php version being used. Try replacing this line

with these

$fp = array();
$fp = @file($path);
$data = strtolower(strip_tags(implode("", (array)$fp))));

Jack

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

A new version has been uploaded. It contains the following changes:

- Added option to search for Hot Links on google.

- Added code to remove some errors in Link Popularity.

- Added code to open file using curl, if present. This isn't enabled for all options but will be eventually.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

I get the following error when using the index position:

Unable to open remote file http://www.google.com/search?as_q=gelee+royale&num=10&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images&start=0. 
Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/content/n/o/t/nothingsuper99/html/_domains/bienenshop24.de/admin/includes/modules/seo_position.php on line 110

hey jack - I upped to the latest version - good work and thanks!

I am now not getting Link Popularity results for Hotbot, MSN, and Yahoo.

everything else seems to work perfectly. I've noticed that yahoo is pushing their "site explorer" when you click the view results link... do we need to modify the yahoo code to pick it up correctly?

Hotbot and MSN have been lacking results for several versions, but the no-result-yahoo is new.

-Dave

I didn't notice the missing items. I don't see anything different with the Yahoo results. Can you provide an example?

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using version 2.1 and I'm having some trouble with the index position tool. It doesn't work for me for finding Google positions. Case in point - if the search term is "google" and the URL I search for is google.com, it should return position 1 (and it does for Yahoo and MSN). But google.com doesn't even show up in the top 1000 results on Google.

Another issue I'm having is that my site is not returned for search terms where I can find my site manually. For instance, I'm somewhere in the 500s for some terms when I check myself, but using SEO Assistant, no results are returned. Is this more of an issue with high results and counting their actual position? I do get more reliable results for words where I rank better.

Thanks for any insight...

I'm using version 2.1 and I'm having some trouble with the index position tool. It doesn't work for me for finding Google positions. Case in point - if the search term is "google" and the URL I search for is google.com, it should return position 1 (and it does for Yahoo and MSN). But google.com doesn't even show up in the top 1000 results on Google.

Another issue I'm having is that my site is not returned for search terms where I can find my site manually. For instance, I'm somewhere in the 500s for some terms when I check myself, but using SEO Assistant, no results are returned. Is this more of an issue with high results and counting their actual position? I do get more reliable results for words where I rank better.

Thanks for any insight...

There seems to be something going on with google since I am seeing the same thing. I put in one of my sites, which consistently rank at position 1 or 2 for all three search engines and it doesn't show up on google. If I try to view the source on google the browser hangs and reports errors. So they are changing, or maybe have changed, how they list their results. Until that settles down and their code can be checked there's nothing to be done.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

When i try Index Position i get an error accessing google:

Unable to open remote file http://www.google.dk/search?as_q=Biosilk&a...ges&start=0.

The site i am trying is: www.coiffure-bettina.dk/catalog

Any ideas ?

regards

jarzom

Scroll up to your post, then scroll one more post above it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

To fix the google index position code, change this line in admin/includes/modules/seo_google_position.php

$conditions = "<span class=a>(.*)</span><nobr>";

to

$conditions = "<span class=a>(.*)</span>";

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 4 weeks later...
To fix the google index position code, change this line in admin/includes/modules/seo_google_position.php
$conditions = "<span class=a>(.*)</span><nobr>";

to

$conditions = "<span class=a>(.*)</span>";

Jack

Hi, That fix works great for Google. Do you have something similar for MSN?

In admin/includes/modules/seo_msn_position.php file, change

$conditions = "<li class=\"dispUrl\">(.*)</li>";

to

$conditions = "<ul class=\"sb_meta\"><li><cite>(.*)</cite>";

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons