• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Zones versus Tax Zones versus Tax Rates

gljerik01

Before I begin, let me say that I have searched the forums till I am going blind. I have looked at the documentation for osCommerce. And I have looked in the Knowledge Base. I simply can't find any concrete information that explains this to me.

I only have to charge tax on orders for customers who live in New York. All other states don't have to pay any tax. I cannot for the life of me figure out how I need to set up the Zones/Tax Zones/Tax Classes/Tax Rates to accomplish this. As of right now, all orders are being charged a tax rate. Anyway, here is my current setup inside those above-mentioned modules:

Country

- Only have 1 item here... United States

Zones

- I have a separate zone item for each state

Tax Zones

- Just like the Zones catagory. I have a separate zone item for each state

Tax classes

- I only have 1 item here, called 'Taxable Goods'

Tax Rates

- I have 2 items here... 1 rate for 'New York' with the cooresponding tax %, and 1 for 'All Other States' with a tax % of 0.

Please help me escape this endless this tax mess. The screens inside osCommerce, and the documentation as well, are tremendously vague when it comes to explaining these items. Any help you can give will be much appreciated.

thanks.

you should be reading the knowledge base, shows how to setup taxes.

basically you setup your products as taxable, and in the admin area you need to setup a tax zone and rate for new york. have a go at the knowledge base, shows tons of stuff and this one is a basic one

You could also try changing the default Tax Rates and Tax Zones (from Florida, right?) to NY. But that's no substitute for hours in bed with the knowledge base... :)

From your description it sounds like maybe your Tax Zones are wrong. We're in California, and we've got a Tax Zones folder "CA" that contains a single item: United States (Country) and California (Zone). Then under Tax Rates the zone for Taxable Goods is "CA". We don't have a second item for Tax Rates.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride..." -HST

Well, I have heard so many great things about the Knowledge Base. But I must confess that I haven't found all the answers I need in there. Here is the most relavant topic in the Knowledge Base regarding this subject:

http://www.oscommerce.info/kb/osCommerce/A...s_and_Taxes/169

And it still does not give me the whole picture. I have followed the instructions here and I still can't get my tax rates correct. I only want to charge tax to residents of one state and no matter what state the customer is from, they get charged the tax.

Is there anyone who only charges tax to people from one state??? If so, please tell me how you set up your zones/tax zones/tax classes/tax rates.

I am usually pretty adept at reading instructions and following them. So I am beginning to believe that I have developed a learning disability!

Help.

Is there anyone who only charges tax to people from one state??? If so, please tell me how you set up your zones/tax zones/tax classes/tax rates.

I can't describe the steps any better than the kb. But yes, I charge taxes only to customers in Calif. I'll try again.

Taz Zones: Folder "CA" containing one item--country United States, zone California. I've got some other folders too, but those are used for shipping.

Tax Classes: Taxable Goods (the default, I believe). Nothing else.

Tax Rates: Priority 1; Tax Class, Taxable Goods; Zone, CA; Tax Rate, 8.25. That's it, nothing else.

Under Configuration, my zone is California. "Display Prices with Tax" is False.

That's it, and it only charges tax to California residents.

Steve,

I've got 543 zones in Zones, for 20+ countries--California, Federated States of Micronesia, and all the other US zones. Cheers. :)

Thanks again Douglas. I have set up all those screens exactly as you describe, and it still won't work for me. I still get charged tax no matter what state I am from. I am going to have to go back to the drawing board I am afraid and just reinstall osCommerce.

Thanks for the help.

Ok, I discovered something weird is going on here. I did not set the tax screens up correctly the first time around, so I tried my best to research the problem on my own. Then I turned to the forums to get advice, which I then implemented. And I thought that it wasn't working, but I discovered something...

In frustration I removed all the information for tax zones/tax classes/tax rates. So I effectively removed the tax information so that no orders get taxed. Then I placed some orders. And they still got charged tax. So there must be some kind of cache going on here. And because of that... perhaps the changes that I made to implement the suggestions that I got in the forum are actually going to work.. but I don't know that they are going to work because my initial settings (which obviously were wrong) are still in effect.

I hope this makes sense. So does anyone have any further advice for me??? I hope, I hope???

(fingers crossed.)

OK, I will post this answer to both of the threads that I have started regarding this issue.

I finally figured out what is going on. As it turns out... in the Catalog section of osCommerce, each product has an option that you specify for that product called "Tax Class". I had not chosen any tax class for each product. Once I clicked the dropdown list and chose "Taxable Goods" (which is included in the Tax Classes section by default) it started working perfectly.

I am so happy that I figured this out on my own that my ego is quite large. But then I think about all the time I spent figuring this out, and it brings me back down to earth.

And by the way... the knowledge base really should include this little tidbit in the section where it talks about tax rates/tax classes/etc. I just happened to luck out this time. Had it been mentioned in the knowledge base, it could have saved so much time for me. If there is anyone reading this who has control over the KB, please do a favor for those following in my footsteps and put it in there.

Archived