• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

when spiders is used, the site is still secure?

minuteago

I don't know much about spiders(google technology) and robots.

However, I want google to show my site high using spiders. While I've been searching for similar topics, one thing that I realized is this.. In order to use spiders to my site, I have to get rid of a session id to make the found links valid. (am I right so far?)

I'm using an Ipowerweb hosting service and its shared SSL.

If I get rid of a session ID, does it mean that my site is not secure?

When my customers try to login or pay, the session id is added after the orignal url address. (After a few clicks, the session id disappears.)

Is there any sesurity problems or something like it?

If anyone knows how the session id works.. can you explain it?

Hiding or removing the session id means it is still there, but not displaying in URL?

Appreciate for any help.

Thanks

minuteago

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It seems you have several concepts confusted here. I'll try to help.

In order to use spiders to my site, I have to get rid of a session id to make the found links valid. (am I right so far?)

What you want to do, is get rid of the session ID in the URL for spiders. For regular visitors, SIDs are still ok.

If I get rid of a session ID, does it mean that my site is not secure?

That's actually the topic of some debate. An SID is used for a person using a browser that is set to not accept cookies. If a person's browser accepts cookies, then they should not receive an SID while browsing your shop. The SID is passed through the URL to keep track of which visitor on your site is which, and specifically what they have in their cart. However, SIDs can sometimes be accidentally confused, and for very busy sites, occasionally one customer can wind up seeing another customers personal info (name address, etc). So, if you expect to have a very, very busy site, you might want to consider 'Forcing Cookie Use', so this never happens. This would also solve the problem of Spiders being assigned SIDs.

When my customers try to login or pay, the session id is added after the orignal url address. (After a few clicks, the session id disappears.)

Again, only if their browser doesn't accept cookies.

Hiding or removing the session id means it is still there, but not displaying in URL?

If you remove the SID, it is not there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Archived