• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

how to start

jpool

Hi there: I m just trying to put up a store, can you please give me a link or explain how can I go about this. I dont understand when do you need a secure server and where to get it. Also I dont know wich company to use for CC processing

Any help greatly apreciatted

jpool

Hi there

A small tip.

Do not think about setting up a secure server and taking cc at first.

If you do not take cc in the first phase, and use prepayment and/or COD, there is really no need for a secure server with SSL for the checkout process. Ofcource it is always good, but many shops do not have it unless they take cc.

If you do wish to use SSL and accept cc however, there are alot of companies offering to host your SSL traffic.

Verisign is one of them.

/ Zipper

You need a webhost who understands Oscommerce and SSL etc. 2 options:

1/ Pair Networks: Click here

2/ Go to http://www.oscommerce.info right now and click the webhosting link that is sponsored by Google Adwords. Although there are Adwords on that site, we are not allowed to mention specific URLs that shows on there (as far as I can understand the rules).

Alternatively go to http://www.webhostingchat.com and ask for recommendations. I'm sure that link is OK as it is not for a specific webhosting co.

I have a hosting company

What I dont understand is what SSL does.

Does it certify that mydomain.com is actually mydomain.com or does it actually encrypt all the info sent by the customer? to my hosting server?

How can I make sure my hosting comapny isnt stealling all the CC info?

please maybe this questions are silly but I just don t know and need help

Cheers

j.

Does it certify that mydomain.com is actually mydomain.com or does it actually encrypt all the info sent by the customer? to my hosting server?
Both. The charges come from the identity verification. Often, your host will offer a shared SSL which encrypts but does not verify identity (the host's identity can be verified, but not your site's).
How can I make sure my hosting comapny isnt stealling all the CC info?
Only hire a host you can trust or run your own server. This is not an arm's length relationship. If you can't trust your host not to read your data, then you shouldn't store the data on their server.

Hth,

Matt

Always back up before making changes.

Cheers ecartz, that was really helpful

I couldnt really understand the ssl thing and now all seems clear.

Now, What does prepayment and COD means?

and how secure is to use osCommerce Paypal module?

sorry for all the stupid questions but is the way to learn , to feel really stupid

Thanks again

j

• 4 weeks later...

PrePayment = The customer pays before shipping is done. Usually with a check or money order.

COD = Cash on Delivery. wich is that you trust the customer to pay for the item once it gets there. If they dont pay you incure shipping charges. You get your prodeuct back but you still lost the shipping monies.

The secureness of the osc and paypal payment system isnt too bad. I have yet to be able to pull ant real info out of the packets I have gottem while watching the transaction from osc to paypal. Once on paypal its really thier end and you have to trust that they are as secure as they say.

Hope this help.

Semper Fi

Archived