• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Total Newbie

candlekate

Just when I thought I'd been blessed with moderate intelligence, along comes OSC to prove me wrong. I upgraded to a commercial package with my webhost and they installed OSC for me and then sent me an email telling me to come here for how-tos. I've been scratching my head in bewilderment ever since. I feel dumber than dirt and am just this side of saying to hell with it and moving on with my life. Before I get there, though, maybe someone out there could help me with some questions I have and get me on the right track.

To begin with, is there a step1-2-3 instruction manual out there that I've somehow missed? If so, please tell me where!

Secondly,I am not too thrilled with the cookie-cutter style that most OSC sites have. I have a background in graphics and wanted to be able to use it a little more liberally than OSC appears to allow. Are there other options that I may have missed. I have seen some links to a "max" version that seems to have some attributes that I would like to incorporate (gift vouchers, etc.) but if it means installing it, quite frankly I am having enough trouble with the configuring and don't even want to venture near an installation process at this point.

Also, as to glitches in this version I can't seem to get rid of, I create my own product, and so have no need for things like manufacturer listings and stock amounts. How do I get those off the product info page? I also want to get rid of the line that says when the product was added to the catalog. How do I go about that?

I know only the bare minimum about php and mysql, and only enough html to be slightly dangerous, and many times when I read the posts in this forum I haven't got a clue what's being said. So please, any help offered really needs to be in the most basic of terms, for while I'm an old bird who's been around a while, in this area I am a virgin. Please be gentle.

Just when I thought I'd been blessed with moderate intelligence, along comes OSC to prove me wrong. I upgraded to a commercial package with my webhost and they installed OSC for me and then sent me an email telling me to come here for how-tos. I've been scratching my head in bewilderment ever since. I feel dumber than dirt and am just this side of saying to hell with it and moving on with my life. Before I get there, though, maybe someone out there could help me with some questions I have and get me on the right track.

To begin with, is there a step1-2-3 instruction manual out there that I've somehow missed? If so, please tell me where!

Secondly,I am not too thrilled with the cookie-cutter style that most OSC sites have. I have a background in graphics and wanted to be able to use it a little more liberally than OSC appears to allow. Are there other options that I may have missed. I have seen some links to a "max" version that seems to have some attributes that I would like to incorporate (gift vouchers, etc.) but if it means installing it, quite frankly I am having enough trouble with the configuring and don't even want to venture near an installation process at this point.

Also, as to glitches in this version I can't seem to get rid of, I create my own product, and so have no need for things like manufacturer listings and stock amounts. How do I get those off the product info page? I also want to get rid of the line that says when the product was added to the catalog. How do I go about that?

I know only the bare minimum about php and mysql, and only enough html to be slightly dangerous, and many times when I read the posts in this forum I haven't got a clue what's being said. So please, any help offered really needs to be in the most basic of terms, for while I'm an old bird who's been around a while, in this area I am a virgin. Please be gentle.

no manual, but the search feature will turn up some answers(not always but sometimes)

contributions and mods. my advice is to find them as you need them and follow the instructions. i havent modded mine at all, really except by my own hand. If its anything like modding a phpbb- its quite simple and self explanatory.

you can change the layout and look of your site manually, or buy templates from different companies out there. (google search for "buy oscommerce templates")

you can remove the manuafacturer's and other such boxes easily in admin.

They arent glotches.

As for product added on such a such date. I havent looked yet, but im sure it involves removing one line of code somewhere.

Just when I thought I'd been blessed with moderate intelligence, along comes OSC to prove me wrong. I upgraded to a commercial package with my webhost and they installed OSC for me and then sent me an email telling me to come here for how-tos. I've been scratching my head in bewilderment ever since. I feel dumber than dirt and am just this side of saying to hell with it and moving on with my life. Before I get there, though,  maybe someone out there could help me with some questions I have and get me on the right track.

Secondly,I am not too thrilled with the cookie-cutter style that most OSC sites have.  I have a background in graphics and wanted to be able to use it a little more liberally than OSC appears to allow. Are there other options that I may have missed. I have seen some links to a "max" version that seems to have some attributes that I would like to incorporate (gift vouchers, etc.) but if it means installing it, quite frankly I am having enough trouble with the configuring and don't even want to venture near an installation process at this point.

Also, as to glitches in this version I can't seem to get rid of, I create my own product, and so have no need for things like manufacturer listings and stock amounts. How do I get those off the product info page?  I also want to get rid of the line that says when the product was added to the catalog.  How do I go about that?

I know  only the bare minimum about php and mysql, and only enough html to be slightly dangerous, and many times when I read the posts in this forum I haven't got a clue what's being said. So please, any help offered really needs to be in the most basic of terms, for while I'm an old bird who's been around a while, in this area I am a virgin. Please be gentle.

Candlekate -

You have my sympathy. I've got a pretty firm grasp on PHP and MySQL, but when I first started messing with oscommerce, & looking for support in these forums, I felt pretty lost. Now I love the program, I think it's elegant and remarkably well-designed, & I feel I've learned alot about good programming by installing & customizing it. I also find these forums invaluable for working through sticky issues.

That being said, there are much better getting-started docs available. Try going here:

http://www.oscommerce.info/

Start with those docs, & then use the forums for specific questions. (Your web host probably posted their support link before the .info site was up; you might want to contact them & have them change their link.)

If you're feeling overwhelmed trying to get rid of the standard look & unwanted boxes, try using Standard Template System (STS):

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...earch,templates

It lets you write standard HTML & drop in whichever oscommerce features you require. I haven't used it much, but many people seem to swear by it.

Once you get comfortable with the program, I think you'll like it. Try to define what features you need & don't need on your site; if, when you're done with your STS site, you find some things haven't come together how you wanted, you can search in the contributions for a fix, or search these forums.

You can do it you can do it you can do it.

Michael

:rolleyes: I'm trying to figure it all out too! *lol* Its not just you!

Anyway, here is a whole buncha documentation I am wading through

http://oscdox.com/index.php

Hope something in there helps you out!

Me .. I'm trying to figure out how to use that Apache thingy and this OSCommerce thingy, so that I can set all this up and THEN buy my host space, cause I can tell this is going to take a while ...

*Smile*

Chris

http://www.alittleolfactory.com

Archived