• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Site Feedback appreciated

This is a test site run as a subdomain on my wifes domain name, hence the silly url...I do not want to post it live until I get it all finished.

It will be HEAVILY modded when I am done (about 30% of intended mods installef so far) but I have done quite a bit of work on the "look" of the site. This is also the reason there are only about 4 products there right now.

It is in a grey/red theme, and I would appreciate y'all letting me know what you think of my design/layout.

As a side note, if any moderator should read this ::

The licence states that the copyright notice may not be removed unless the site has been so significantly altered as to distinguish itself from the standard oscommerce package. Yet the rules for posting say that for any site listed in this forum to be considered for inclusion, it must display the "Powered by osCommerce" notice.

Isn't this a contradiction of the licence agreement?

AnyTime Watch Co :: A Good Watch Is A Touch Of Class

Header image is good. Rest of site is poor:

- jagged infoboxheader images

- standard grey boxes in a number of places

You are also suffering frm "too many infoboxes" syndrome. I'd do my utmost to remove as many infoboxes as I could and place them elsewhere. Eg:

- search box in header area somewhere

- login box, remove (it's just taking up real estate)

- reviews box, remove.

- shopping cart. Why show it if it has nothing in it!

and so on. If you think laterally, you can actually get rid of nearly all the infoboxes.

"A GOOD WATCH IS A TOUCH OF CLASS". You should have a classy website when selling high ticket items...

All my opinion only, others may love it!

Well, you could remove the following and place elsewhere (for example in the header area):

- languages [assuming you have more than 1 in your store, else remove entirely]

- search

- manufacturer dropdown

- categories [ could be difficult depending on how many you have!]

- currencies [assuming you have more than 1 in your store, else remove entirely]

In the footer you could put the contents of

- information

I don't understand the point of the following boxes:

- reviews

- specials [you could just have a link to "specials.php"]

- bestsellers [ why would I want to know what your Store sells best? I think I know what I want to buy...]

- whats new, these show up in "whats new for *month* anyway, so why not remove it.

Some boxes appear only on certain pages:

- tell-a-friend. Pointless, why not just have a text link somewhere instead.

- notifications. Again, why not just have a text link somewhere.

As you can see, if you think a bit "out of the box", you can remove almost all of the infoboxes quite easily.

Also, we paid people to come into our office and test Oscommerce. Not one used the breadcrumb to find their way around. Interesting ? Not really, so why not remove it entirely ?

Also by removing all this stuff, your Oscommerce store now does not look at all Oscommerce anymore! Bonus :D

- jagged infoboxheader images

I had to resize the box header images...they were a tad wide. They looked OK locally after the re-size. I will make some new ones, thank you.

- standard grey boxes in a number of places

I know...i'm working on it. I'm trying to make a background image that looks ok when tiled.

You are also suffering frm "too many infoboxes" syndrome. I'd do my utmost to remove as many infoboxes as I could and place them elsewhere. Eg:

- search box in header area somewhere

- login box, remove (it's just taking up real estate)

- reviews box, remove.

Agreed ... except for the search box. I think right under the categories list is a good and logical place for it.

- shopping cart. Why show it if it has nothing in it!

Good point, especially as I have a "View Cart" link in the header.

All my opinion only

And that's exactly what I asked for. :)

You raised some good points...although I disagree with many you made in your second post. B)

Thanks

A few cosmetic revisions to the site, and the implementation of some of burts suggestions.

Will eventually get rid of all those standard microsoft clip art s****y things too!

I am also working on a graphical infobox header, that doesn't LOOK like a graphical infobox header! :)

Please keep the comments/suggestions flowing as I work to improve the site, so I know if I am doing anything wrong....or right. :P

Archived