• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Using a post code to calculate the zone

Predd0

When a customer signs up they enter in their post/zip code. The courier that I use has divided the country (Australia) into many smaller sections than simply states. But they do give a list of post codes and what 'zone' this applies to.

So what I would like to do is have the customer enter in a post code. Using a database that is somewhere on the webserver, the post code is sent to the database and locates the 'zone' in which this postcode falls. Then this zone is put into the customers file.

When the customer makes a purchase, the shipping fee will be based upon what zone he/she lives in.

Has anyone got ideas about how to go about doing this?

• 4 months later...
When a customer signs up they enter in their post/zip code.  The courier that I use has divided the country (Australia) into many smaller sections than simply states.  But they do give a list of post codes and what 'zone' this applies to.

Same problem here, except that it is UK post codes. I need to set up multizone shipping tables, which I seem to be able to do, but I can only get the zones down to UK counties, which isn't really much use, as in the UK, people often don't give counties in their address: they do all give post codes, though!

Any suggestions, anyone?

Same problem here, except that it is UK post codes. I need to set up multizone shipping tables, which I seem to be able to do, but I can only get the zones down to UK counties, which isn't really much use, as in the UK, people often don't give counties in their address: they do all give post codes, though!

Any suggestions, anyone?

I stumbled upon one which you'll be able to modify yourself. Search up TNT shipping in the contributions.

Archived