• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Change newsletter to Yahoogroup?

Avium

Hi guys,

I've given up on using the Newsletter feature - too many dead emails and bounces from my customers :o

Instead, I've setup a Yahoogroup to info my customers about updates, etc. The thing is, the newsletter feature is still activated in the account signup and account pages.

I want to replace it with a direct signup link/link to the Yahoogroup instead for the account pages, and also, add a signup link to the account creation success page after an account is created.

Any ideas on how to do either?

Hello,

Dead emails? that means that your customers have either gotten a new email addy or the mailbox is full or something like that.

Do you think that it will improve to use yahoogroups? You are still using the same emails, don't you?

Do you think your customers value your use of yahoogroups concerning privacy? They trusted you with their data and you want yahoo to take care of your newsletter. Which also means that yahoo(groups) has got access to that and your customer emails.

I myself wouldn't appreciate it.

The newsletters is as active as you make it. There will only be newsletters when you intend to write one in OsCommerce. It won't sent it by itself. You and you alone are writing the newsletter, you must close the newsletter and approve the newsletter before any email will be send of to your customers!

Regards

Richard

:blink:

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your concerns. Yes, a lot of customers have dead emails, so I end up with a lot of bounces. Plus, when I have a customer database of over 500 and my host only allows 250 outgoing emails an hour, it gets stifling.

In Yahoogroups, I ask the customers to signup for it themselves rather than me imposing it onto them. So they are free to make their own decision as to whether or nt to sign up.

I understand how newsletter works - it doesn't send until I send it manually. But with so many dead emails to weed through, it gets frustrating after a while, no?

Than you might consider removing the customers with dead emails or remove them yourself from being subscribed to the newsletter. It is of no use having them subscribed if they are bouncing. And these days it is not necessary to be bouncing since you can get a lot of email space with yahoo and google and hotmail etc.

I still wouldn't want to hand my newsletters over to yahoogroups. It doesn't look professional. Haven't you got your own emailserver where you can install a listserver too? It looks better when the newsletters comes from yourdomain.com than from [email protected]

Regards

Richard

Hmmmm... that is a good suggestion, Richard. I'm just not sure if I want to edit my customers' preferences for them (not to mention, going through so many emails just to find out who is working and who isn't).

It is only a lot of work the first time and than it is just keeping up with it. And besides those customers that bounce. Are they returning customers? They need a valid email address to get orders confirmed etc.

As far as finding the mail. I would say that you could that with PHPMyAdmin while searching in the database. I also wouldn't want to look at every single customer one by one. And the advantage of searching in the database is that you can change the setting right there.

But listservers aren't that difficult. I don't know your server setup but I myself run linux and I got qmail installed. There might be a possibility of changing the php around that people are added to the newsletter on the mailserver when they say yes when they set up their account. Or you could add a link to the welcome mail after they have registered. Than you should of course remove the possibility of adding themselves while creating the account. That would have the suggestion that they already can add themselves there. Which in fact it would not.

And sorry, don't know enough about php to give suggestions with that :)

Regards

Richard

B)

Hi Richard,

Yes, that is a good idea. I'll look through some mailing list setups and see what I can come up with.

Now I'll have to bother those who signed up with the Yahoogroup to switch over ;)

In that case i would inform those that enlisted with yahoogroups. You add to them to the 'new' mailinglist you install on your own server and inform them about the commands of unsubscribing etc if they need/want them. They already agreed to being on a mailinglist ;) You will just be moving them.

Regards

Richard

B)

Archived