• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

admin - add, update or delete product attributes

Hi all,

I thought it somehow boring to work through all my products just to add an attribute. On the products_attributes.php-page I had collected until now some 170 pages of attributes. Sometimes I got simply lost in the quantity of them...

For that reason I have developed a tool (Version: osCommerce 2.2-CVS) with which you can add, update or delete product attributes directly at the corresponding product, i.e. at the product preview in the categories.php

I think, this tool is pretty useful if you have got plenty of products with even more than a spoon full of attributes. (If you're interested: The Shops developed/modified by me have some 1300 products with thousands of attributes. Links: www.mercurius-international.com and www.mercurius-usa.com)

The tool, consisting of two parts, is included directly in the categories.php and rather simple to install. But, I think, it's a complicated tool (and a hard half days work...). I can imagine, there will be some need of php/mySQL-coding-experience to get it to work if you use other versions of the shop than me.

I don't know if anybody apart from myself could use the tool. If yes, just let me know. Then I will publish it in the contribution-download-area.

Stefan

And, please, ain't there nobody who can help me with my question stated here?!:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=97001&hl=

Hi Stefan,

Well here's a reply for you

Thanks for this, I will attempt to add it today, I already have a mod that shows the attributes in the product edit screen, but to be able to actually add attribute options, if that's what this does, would be great!

Thanks,

Linda

This is a life saver if it does what I think it does.

Does it alow people to add product attributes at the category listing page instead of clicking all the way through to the individual product page? And does it also skip the individual product page after clicking add to cart?

And also are there any mods to the catalog files

All I see in the zipped file is files under admin. Who does this add the attributes to the category pages in the customer side of the site?

What I am trying to say is can you please elaborate on the instructions?

Or I would be willing to trade you sometyhing to implement it for me cdrws, dvd-rws. some free magnets from www.fridgemags.com. I am tight on cash this time of year but definitely trade something for your help.

Really need this option. Have been trying to work over at oscdox.com to find a solution for this and here i think it is !

awesome.

thanx

the full name of the contribution is:

admin - add, update or delete product attributes, at the product preview in the categories.php

And that's what it is: a contrib for the admin screen, namely the file "categories.php".

The instructions are only for the installation process, not for the usage of the contrib. If you've installed it, the usage explains itself, I think.

So, what are you looking for? Are you looking for a possibility to add an attributes pull down menu to the product list in the shop? (There's a switch for that in the admin screen. Look for "product listing".)

Stefan

Thanx for the quick reply.

Yes

I would like to have the attributes listed in the product listings page. And give the customer the ability to add directly to cart from this page instead of being brought to the individual product info page.

This is all i have under product listing in the admin screen

Title Value Action

Display Product Image 1

Display Product Manufaturer Name 0

Display Product Model 0

Display Product Name 2

Display Product Price 3

Display Product Quantity 0

Display Product Weight 0

Display Buy Now column 4

Display Category/Manufacturer Filter (0=disable; 1=enable) 1

Location of Prev/Next Navigation Bar (1-top, 2-bottom, 3-both) 3

Am i Missing something?

Hi stefan

The files are a bit overwhelming to toy around with.

As far as I can tell this only works with standard osC attributes and not with the option type contribution ?

Also I was wondering if you could share a screenshot of your preview screen so that it's immediately obviouss what is supported in product preview mode.

Thanks a lot

Carine

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Dear Pete,

I've visited your site.

What I wonder about: I didn't find any attributes pull down lists, but only some input-fields. Did I miss something?

And: yes, I have modified my shops in a way so I can add products with pull-down-list-attributes directly from the product list to the cart, and with any quantity I want.

But that took me a lot of hard days and nights, I even had to add some new action handlers in the application_top.php to get it to work.

But, I'm sorry, my shop differs now so much from the regular osc releases, that I can't build a contribution out of that.

I think I could install it to your shop, but I would need ftp-Access to your shop to do that. And, of course, I wouldn't do that for free...

And dear Carine,

to be true: I don't know what you mean with the "option type contribution".

All I can say is: With my contrib you can add any option and any option value to any product you want.

I will stage some screenshots at the contrib to give an impression that.

greetings

Stefan

Tried to install it... first thing I get is an error because it needs a field for some reason in the product_attribute table called attr_art_nr

After making that and not knowing what it is for, I tried editing an attribute for one of my products and it didn't update it. It did manage to delete the products title, model, and description.

I think it would be easier for me to write from scratch then read your mind. :P

Thanks for the effort.

Hi Doc,

"I think it would be easier for me to write from scratch then read your mind."

That was surely a good joke. But unluckily I do not understand it.

Well - but apart from that: you were right.

Now I've fixed that. And I've tested the tool with ms2, and it works!

So keep cool and try again.

greetings

Stefan

This is a great contribution! I have over 120 attribute pages and its very hard to locate one attribute if I need to fix it.

I have got this to work with editing an attribute and deleting one but it will not add any new attributes

I keep getting messages like this:

1136 - Column count doesn't match value count at row 1

insert into products_attributes values ('', '105', '1', '23', '', '')

[TEP STOP]

Any help would be great! Thank You

~Steel~

Hi Steel,

this is what the contrib does while adding a new attribute:

tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES . " values ('', '" . $HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id'] . "', '" . $HTTP_POST_VARS['options_id'] . "', '" . $HTTP_POST_VARS['values_id'] . "', '" . $HTTP_POST_VARS['value_price'] . "', '" . $HTTP_POST_VARS['price_prefix'] . "')");

That means you have to have 6 fileds in your products_attributes table named:

products_attributes_id

products_id

options_id

options_values_id

options_values_price

price_prefix

So the first step for you is to take a look how many fields you have got (because it seems that you have got more than the mentioned 6 fields - I don't know why...), and what other fields you have got (are they important or not?).

The second step is to modify the script so it will insert values in all existing and required fields, or to modify the products_attributes table to get rid of one or more fields which you don't need.

hope this helps

Stefan

This contribution is exactly what I need to manage product attributes more effectively. Thanks.

I'm having a problem and I believe it's due to the option type contribution mentioned by Carine earlier. What it does is add another attibute option type that allows the user to type in a value at the product page.

The contribution is located here. http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,160

What happens for me is a repetition of some text, and when you try to add an attribute I get the same message as Steel.

I also cannot select what attribute option values I want when trying to add a new attribute.

Are these two related? Would you be willing to look at the code for my categories page?

Here's a zip file with a screenshot and categories.php

http://www22.brinkster.com/soccercheese/categories.zip

Please help it's so close!

Hi Dave,

concerning this error message you and Steel have got: I can't read anything about that in your categories.php.

Eventually you could try this:

In the cat_prod_att01.php, replace the line:

tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES . " values ('', '" . $HTTP_POST_VARS['products_id'] . "', '" . $HTTP_POST_VARS['options_id'] . "', '" . $HTTP_POST_VARS['values_id'] . "', '" . $HTTP_POST_VARS['value_price'] . "', '" . $HTTP_POST_VARS['price_prefix'] . "')");

with:

tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES . " values ('', '" . (int)$products_id . "', '" . (int)$options_id . "', '" . (int)$values_id . "', '" . tep_db_input($value_price) . "', '" . tep_db_input($price_prefix) . "')");

That's code from the option_type_feature_v1.6, an interesting contrib, but I don't need it momentarily, so I don't want to install it. But anyway - please let me know if it helps.

Concerning the sreenshot: Does this happen with every one of the options you have got there, or only with "diameter"?

If yes, I'm pretty sure that the problem is somehow connected to this options type contrib, but I can't figure that out due to a lack of time ... I'm sorry.

If not, please let me know.

greetings

sr

Thanks for the reply Stefan.

Before changing cat_prod_att01.php I got this:

insert into products_attributes values ('', '30', '1', '5', '', '+')

[TEP STOP]

After changing cat_prod_att01.php I got this:

insert into products_attributes values ('', '0', '0', '0', '', '')

[TEP STOP]

I checked to see your question about the screenshot. I like the way it's set up, only option values show for whatever option name there is. Turns out that if there isn't an option value assigned to an option name, then nothing shows.

I think the problem is that the TEXT option value isn't assigned to anything, you just select it in the products attributes table in the products_attributes.php page. I have another screenshot showing this. Maybe this will help with a quick solution.

http://www22.brinkster.com/soccercheese/prod_att.zip

Thanks again for taking the time to answer, I hope you're time frees up.

Now all we need for MS2 is one that shows only the Option Value that matches the Option Name when you edit an already exsisting product. This shows all the Option Values for a product, so it is a pain if you have different Option Names that have the same Value.

For example if you have the Option Names

Metal Color

Color

Vinyl Color

They may have different colors but then again, they may have the same color like RED but only Metal Color has a color called Aluminum. So if I edit a Metal Color, RED shows up 3 times and I have to know which RED goes with which Option Name. I can only tell that from the order they are listed. :P

It I only use the RED option from Metal Color and then want to ad a Vinyl Color to a product, then RED won't show up as an option.

Oh Well...

Hi Dave,

well - forget about the changes in the cat_prod_att01.php. That was obviously not the right hint.

But your new sreenshot is interesting: What about this attrib sort? I haven't got anything like that! That seems to be the field which isn't filled, and because of that comes the error message: Column count doesn't match value count.

If this is so, please post a sql-file of your products_attributes table. Then I can fix that for you.

Hi Doc,

I don't see the point. If you choose an option in my contrib with the radio-box, then in the select-list only the option values for exclusively this option are listed (selected via the products_option_values_to_products_options table).

So in which case red is shown up 3 times?

You are right, when you select the radio button to ADD a new attribute, it will only show those available for that attribute type. What I mean is when you EDIT and existing attribute it gives you all Option Values across all Option Names. It still works though. :)

Archived