• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Download 'option' (with shipping option as well)

caediger

I'm attempting to set-up my system to offer products for either shipping or download. If a customer selects shipping they would then proceed through the normal checkout process. If they selected download they would proceed through the checkout with 'free shipping' & purchase the download without the shipping charges (handled by the Downloads Controller contrib). I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to set this up. Can someone help?

I knew this was one way to do it - I would just hate to have to set-up dual products for each. Is there anyway to have a checkout option where "Download" is selected as an option (triggering the 'free shipping'/downloads controller) or "Shipping" is selected as an option (triggering the normal checkout process)?

One thought: Is there a way to setup an option called "Shipping" in Configuration->Catalog->Products Attributes with values of "Download only" and "Ship product" ... then when a customer selects "Download only" it would edit the weight to be 0 lbs, invoking the Downloads Controller OR if he/she selects "Ship product" it would set the weight as the actual weight & proceed through the normal checkout? If so, how do I do this? I'm pretty much a newbie & haven't ventured into adjusting much in the Products Attributes section. I'm not even sure how to use this section.

Okay -> I think I have it working. I dl & installed the "Add Weight to Product Attributes v0.1" contribution. I then proceeded to setup an option called "Shipping" with the values "Download only" & "Ship Product." I then added 2 attributes to the product I wanted to offer for both download & shipment. On the "Download only" one I added the "Filename" & other download information and set the "Weight to Add" to subtract the product weight (making it weigh 0 lbs.). The other attribute I didn't give download information & left the price & weight the same.

It seems to work okay. When I select "Download only" it goes through the checkout without worrying about shipping options & allows me to download the link, once approved. When I select "Ship Product" it goes through the normal checkout process.

Would someone please check it out & let me know if it works okay for them? Let me know if you run into any problems.

The URL is http://www.reimagedesign.com/catalog. The product set-up is "re:VIEW Easter 1.0." Choose "Check/Money Order" for the payment method & try it both ways (download only & ship product) and let me know if it works. I have it setup with the "Downloads Controller" so you won't get a download link until I change the status of an order to "Updated."

• 2 months later...

Hello Chris,

I like what you did with your website, cool.

I just installed Download Controller and I am atruggling with the download too and wondered if you could help.

I am trying to give away a free download. Everything prgresses fine except at the end I get an error msg "download not available until paid".

This is for a FREE dowonload (proce 0 weight 0). Any ideas?

Also I see you have a drop down window that allows clients to chose download or shipping. Do you care to share how to do this?

And finaly I see you are offering a discount coupon.

How do you incorperate this in the payment process?

I know I am asking a lot but its nice to see someone successful with this stuff.

Thank you

Zali

• 3 weeks later...

I have finally duplicated the effect Caediger set up with the download option and download/ship option. For the benefit of anyone trying to do this too, here's what I did.

I first tried to install the "downloads controller" contribution and then the "add-weight-to-product-attributes v0.2" contribution after that. I did and added all the same attributes with filenames for downloads and reductions to zero weight on the download only option (just add a "-2" for a 2 product weight). Somehow, it kept jumping past the shipping screen even on the download/ship option. I went back and reinstalled those contributions and made sure my payment module set the status to Pending. Then it worked properly, giving free shipping for the download option and UPS (only installed shipping module) shipping for the download/ship option.

However, that's not quite what I wanted, because we won't ship anything to the download-only user. So that was misleading. I wanted it to skip past the shipping page when it was download only. So in the catalog/checkout_shipping.php I changed

// if the order contains only virtual products, forward the customer to the billing page as
// a shipping address is not needed
 if ($order->content_type == 'virtual') {

to this:

// if the order contains only virtual products, forward the customer to the billing page as
// a shipping address is not needed
 if ($order->content_type == 'virtual' || $cart->show_weight()==0) {

It worked like a champ. Now since the product weight is zero, it assumes it's a download-only product and skips the shipping page. I hope this helps someone avoid all the time it took me to arrive at this solution. Best of luck!

• 1 year later...

Archived