• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Hello...I'm afraid I need some help :(

Fullasoul

Hello!

Well, today begins what I feared would be an inevitable hassle :( I'm trying to set up my shop online, and I was a bit scared to try and do all these modifications myself....so I went looking for a host that offered a version of oscommerce that already had many contributions added. I only found a couple...and one of them (SnappyServer) seems to not be taking any new orders (nor do they respond to e-mail), so I went with someone else. Great list of contributions already installed....clearly the owner knows his way around oscommerce fairly well....yet he doesn't seem very willing to help me install the template I purchased for the site. At the same time, the place I purchased the template from (it's an STS template, btw) doesn't want anything to do with me unless I contact them for a quote (which is business-ese for "I'm gonna rape your wallet before I'm through with you")....so I'm left attempting this myself. I tried to be confidant....after all, I managed to learn phpbb rather well....maybe this wouldn't be so bad.

Anyways, I just attempted to install the template....right away the store won't load up, and I get an error message, "Table 'xxxx.TABLE_INFOPAGES' doesn't exist (where 'xxxx' accurately gives the name of my store's sql database). Indeed my database DOES have an "infopages" table....it's called "infopages" rather than "table_infopages". I don't know SQL well enough to be certain that's the problem (perhaps TABLE_INFOPAGES is the right way to call up the "infopages" table....but I'm guessing not)...but I figured all I could do was fully search the contents of all the files I overwrote onto my shop (the ones the template provided) for this particular request string and found nothing. Unfortunately that was my only idea of how to proceed....so already I'm stuck and am hoping for some assistance. I hear people are pretty helpful around here (the amount of posts would certainly indicate so!), so I will very graciously await and accept any help/information that comes my way :)

Thanks,

Fullasoul

Hello!

Well, today begins what I feared would be an inevitable hassle :( I'm trying to set up my shop online, and I was a bit scared to try and do all these modifications myself....so I went looking for a host that offered a version of oscommerce that already had many contributions added. I only found a couple...and one of them (SnappyServer) seems to not be taking any new orders (nor do they respond to e-mail), so I went with someone else. Great list of contributions already installed....clearly the owner knows his way around oscommerce fairly well....yet he doesn't seem very willing to help me install the template I purchased for the site. At the same time, the place I purchased the template from (it's an STS template, btw) doesn't want anything to do with me unless I contact them for a quote (which is business-ese for "I'm gonna rape your wallet before I'm through with you")....so I'm left attempting this myself. I tried to be confidant....after all, I managed to learn phpbb rather well....maybe this wouldn't be so bad.

Anyways, I just attempted to install the template....right away the store won't load up, and I get an error message, "Table 'xxxx.TABLE_INFOPAGES' doesn't exist (where 'xxxx' accurately gives the name of my store's sql database). Indeed my database DOES have an "infopages" table....it's called "infopages" rather than "table_infopages". I don't know SQL well enough to be certain that's the problem (perhaps TABLE_INFOPAGES is the right way to call up the "infopages" table....but I'm guessing not)...but I figured all I could do was fully search the contents of all the files I overwrote onto my shop (the ones the template provided) for this particular request string and found nothing. Unfortunately that was my only idea of how to proceed....so already I'm stuck and am hoping for some assistance. I hear people are pretty helpful around here (the amount of posts would certainly indicate so!), so I will very graciously await and accept any help/information that comes my way :)

Thanks,

Fullasoul

ok....so I just re-searched the forums and found the answer to this.....the definition wasn't declared in the database_tables.php file (which kinda scares me because that file wasn't touched by the template install...which would indicate the original cart install was bad...and yet it loaded fine until I tried to install the template....makes no sense to me).

Anyways, now I get a new error message: Fatal error: Cannot redeclare meta_create_title() (previously declared in /home/xxxx/public_html/includes/functions/meta.php:30) in /home/xxxx/public_html/includes/functions/meta.php on line 30

now I'm beyond lost :(

Fullasoul

ok....so I just re-searched the forums and found the answer to this.....the definition wasn't declared in the database_tables.php file (which kinda scares me because that file wasn't touched by the template install...which would indicate the original cart install was bad...and yet it loaded fine until I tried to install the template....makes no sense to me).

Anyways, now I get a new error message: Fatal error: Cannot redeclare meta_create_title() (previously declared in /home/xxxx/public_html/includes/functions/meta.php:30) in /home/xxxx/public_html/includes/functions/meta.php on line 30

now I'm beyond lost :(

Fullasoul

OK...so since 40 or so other inquiries were answered today and mine ignored, could someone perhaps tell me a better way of obtaining help than politely asking here?

I messed with this all day long....and in fact if I remove all pertinent code from meta.php (ie just leave comments), it works. I found someone else having similar difficulties and they were told to remove a piece of code (<title> php echo <title> or something to that effect) on any page it occurred. So of course I spent the entire day taking every instance of this out, only to have it still giving me the same error message from above :(

ANY help would be greatly appreciated...

Fullasoul

OK...so since 40 or so other inquiries were answered today and mine ignored, could someone perhaps tell me a better way of obtaining help than politely asking here?

I messed with this all day long....and in fact if I remove all pertinent code from meta.php (ie just leave comments), it works. I found someone else having similar difficulties and they were told to remove a piece of code (<title> php echo <title> or something to that effect) on any page it occurred. So of course I spent the entire day taking every instance of this out, only to have it still giving me the same error message from above :(

ANY help would be greatly appreciated...

Fullasoul

Is there some other forum I should be asking for help at? Before making the leap into trying to build my cart, everyone went on and on about how supportive the oscommerce community is...and yet for 4 days I've been essentially talking to myself here....not one remote attempt at help from anyone here or on my other thread :(

Fullasoul

The problem, in all likelihood, lies in the template you installed. There isn't all that much we can do to offer assistance on this particular forum for that. The people you purchased your template from should have provided you with better documentaion.

Your best bet would be to check the osCommerce Contribution Forum for assistance. There is a much better chance that someone there would be able to help you. A quick search of that forum for STS rendered almost 3000 posts.

Is there some other forum I should be asking for help at? Before making the leap into trying to build my cart, everyone went on and on about how supportive the oscommerce community is...and yet for 4 days I've been essentially talking to myself here....not one remote attempt at help from anyone here or on my other thread :(

Fullasoul

Have you tried the support forum for the loaded version of osC you are using? Most have them. A lot of times problems you have with a loaded version or a fork of osC are not familiar to the posters here. Sometimes they are, sometimes not. While the loaded versions sould good because they have so much installed it does make it harder to be able to tell you what the problem may be as we have no idea what contributions have been installed or what changes have been made to the base osC files.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

Archived