• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OS Commerce Features?

Burton

I've been running a Miva store for almost 3 years and I was wondering if osCommerce does any of the following:

1) Customizable, printable physical invoices?

2) Embedded mailist list, list management, and HTML capable email?

3) HTML formatted email confirmation?

4) Attribute inventory management? (an example would be selling shirts, the shirt should be one product then inventory for each size should be manageable)

5) Product weights?

6) Administrative order tracking?

7) Customer order tracking?

8) Client backend? (we sell shirts for rock bands, so we want them to have a way to log in and check the inventory and sales for just their merch. is there a way to do this, and/or limit the access of users so Client A does not see Client B's inventory?)

And a more complex question regarding the template and display system...

Is it possible for each category to have a dramatically different visual style?

Again, we work with bands, so if Band A is a metal band and want their category to have a black background with a custom header, is there a way to do this without affecting the layout of all the other categories?

I hope I've posted this in the right place, and simple yes/no answers will do if anyone has the time or interest. Thanks everyone!

-Burton

I've been running a Miva store for almost 3 years and I was wondering if osCommerce does any of the following:

1) Customizable, printable physical invoices?

2) Embedded mailist list, list management, and HTML capable email?

3) HTML formatted email confirmation?

4) Attribute inventory management?  (an example would be selling shirts, the shirt should be one product then inventory for each size should be manageable)

5) Product weights?

6) Administrative order tracking?

7) Customer order tracking?

8) Client backend?  (we sell shirts for rock bands, so we want them to have a way to log in and check the inventory and sales for just their merch.  is there a way to do this, and/or limit the access of users so Client A does not see Client B's inventory?)

And a more complex question regarding the template and display system...

Is it possible for each category to have a dramatically different visual style?

Again, we work with bands, so if Band A is a metal band and want their category to have a black background with a custom header, is there a way to do this without affecting the layout of all the other categories?

I hope I've posted this in the right place, and simple yes/no answers will do if anyone has the time or interest.  Thanks everyone!

-Burton

1) Yes.

2) Yes.

3) Yes.

4) Not sure what you're asking here but the Master products or QT pro (think that's what its called) contributions may add that functionality. Check the contributions section.

5) Yes.

6) Yes.

7) Yes.

8) Not that I'm aware of, possibly look for a contribution.

As for the last question. Certainly dooable and again, look in the contributions. OSC is hugely customiseable but takes time to set up. Still, much better than most (nearly all) you have to pay for.

Master products:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...master+products

or:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...master+products

QTpro:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...y,all/search,qt

8)Yes.

You can install the contribution that sets up admin levels. I do not know if it has hide products or only show products to whoever is logged in, but it can be easily added to that if it doesn't do that already.

Wow, thank you for the quick and thorough answers! I actually downloaded and installed osC while I was waiting and it seems very simple. One follow up question:

Is the admin directory supposed to be blocked by using an .htaccess file? That would actually be cool. With Miva I'm used to having a public admin login page. I've always found that to be terribly unsecure.

>>edit: I just re-read the reply about having different admin logins, so apparently there is a way to have a master admin? Thanks again for answering these for me.

Wow, thank you for the quick and thorough answers!  I actually downloaded and installed osC while I was waiting and it seems very simple.  One follow up question:

Is the admin directory supposed to be blocked by using an .htaccess file?  That would actually be cool.  With Miva I'm used to having a public admin login page.  I've always found that to be terribly unsecure.

Yes! Also a good idea to make your admin pages SSL too but i've not got round to that yet.

Archived