• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

UPSXML setup for MS2

mugitty

I have just set up the UPSXML shipping module with dimensional support in a clean MS2 store and found the following which should be watched for:

The module is UPSXML Rates and Services and the version used is the most recent (17 Aug 2004 - 1.03.02 Author: Fox Morrey)

The installation instructions (dimensions.txt) for the dimensional support option are outdated - here are some of the things I found:

1) Steps 3 and 4 refer to some queries which have changed a bit in MS2, so to install I just searched for any instance of "weight" in the files

catalog/includes/classes/shopping_cart.php

admin/includes/classes/shopping_cart.php

admin/categories.php

and added the appropriate entries for

products_length

products_width

products_height

products_ready_to_ship

using the same code format as used for products_weight where ever it was found.

2) Step 6 puts the file and database table defines in application_top - they should be put in the appropriate filenames.php or database_tables.php files

=======================

There have been a number of posts regarding the osC UPS interface not matching the rates shown on the UPS website. The stock UPS module does appear to produce some of these non-matching results and I am not certain where the error occurs.

However, I just ran several packages under differing circumstances using the UPSXML contribution and was able to get ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL RESULTS from both the module and the UPS website.

Some of the setting options in both the module and the UPS website shipping calculator may be causing people to think that there are inaccurate results coming from the module (since there are a number of choices that must be made in both the module and the website calculator). Here are some sets of settings that yielded IDENTICAL results in my testing. In each instance the dollar amount shown is for Ground shipping, but EVERY METHOD RATE was identical in all of the test situations that I ran:

osC UPSXML: Pickup Method: Daily Pickup, Packaging Type: Customer Packaging, Customer Classification Code: 01, Quote Type: Commercial

UPS Website: Pickup Method: Daily Pickup, Packaging Type: Your Packaging, Quote Type: non-residential

Rate: $4.76

osC UPSXML: Pickup Method: Daily Pickup, Packaging Type: Customer Packaging, Customer Classification Code: 01, Quote Type: Residential

UPS Website: Pickup Method: Daily Pickup, Packaging Type: Your Packaging, Quote Type: Residential

Rate: $6.91

osC UPSXML: Pickup Method: Customer Counter, Packaging Type: Customer Packaging, Customer Classification Code: 03, Quote Type: Residential

UPS Website: Pickup Method: Dropoff, Packaging Type: Your Packaging, Quote Type: Residential

Rate: $8.40

osC UPSXML: Pickup Method: Customer Counter, Packaging Type: Customer Packaging, Customer Classification Code: 04, Quote Type: Residential

UPS Website: Pickup Method: Retail Location, Packaging Type: Your Packaging, Quote Type: Residential

Rate: $9.15

These rates were all for the same package being shipped to the same location. As you can see, the settings can make a dramatic difference in the quote received (in this example the quote ranged from $4.76 to $9.15). For our store, since we are not sure if an address is residential or commercial, we leave the setting at residential. Even though we have Daily Pickup, which would cost us an actual of $6.91 for residential delivery in the above example, we set the UPSXML module to yield the $8.40 rate, which allows us to cover some of the packaging/handling expense and errors from inaccurate product weights which might occur.

... if you want to REALLY see something that doesn't set up right out of the box without some tweaking,

try being a Foster Parent!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Stuart;

I could use some help on this one if you have the chance :thumbsup:

Here's my original chunk of code;

tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " (products_quantity, products_model,products_image, products_price, products_date_added, products_date_available, products_weight, products_status, products_tax_class_id, manufacturers_id) values ('" . tep_db_input($product['products_quantity']) . "', '" . tep_db_input($product['products_model']) . "', '" . tep_db_input($product['products_image']) . "', '" . tep_db_input($product['products_price']) . "',  now(), '" . tep_db_input($product['products_date_available']) . "', '" . tep_db_input($product['products_weight']) . "', '0', '" . (int)$product['products_tax_class_id'] . "', '" . (int)$product['manufacturers_id'] . "')");

According to the instructions it needs to be changed to this;

tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " (products_quantity, products_model, products_image, products_price, products_date_added, products_date_available, products_weight, products_length, products_width, products_height, products_ready_to_ship, products_status, products_tax_class_id, manufacturers_id) values ('" . $product['products_quantity'] . "', '" . $product['products_model'] . "', '" . $product['products_image'] . "', '" . $product['products_price'] . "',  now(), '" . $product['products_date_available'] . "', '" . $product['products_weight'] . "', '" . $product['products_length'] . "', '" . $product['products_width'] . "', '" . $product['products_height']. "', '" . $product['products_ready_to_ship'] . "', '0', '" . $product['products_tax_class_id'] . "', '" . $product['manufacturers_id'] . "')");

While maintaining the original syntax in the original code quoted above. Is there anyway you can modify my original for me to include the new data in the same format as the first chunk of code? My php skills are very limited :'(

Best & Thanks;
Marvin
----------------------
osCommerce 2.3.3.4 

Marvin;

This should do it for you, using the same syntax as shown in your original piece of code. This is one continuous line with no breaks:

tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " (products_quantity, products_model, products_image, products_price, products_date_added, products_date_available, products_weight, products_length, products_width, products_height, products_ready_to_ship, products_status, products_tax_class_id, manufacturers_id) values ('" . tep_db_input($product['products_quantity']) . "', '" . tep_db_input($product['products_model']) . "', '" . tep_db_input($product['products_image']) . "', '" . tep_db_input($product['products_price']) . "',  now(), '" . tep_db_input($product['products_date_available']) . "', '" . tep_db_input($product['products_weight']) . "', '" . tep_db_input($product['products_length']) . "', '" . tep_db_input($product['products_width']) . "', '" . tep_db_input($product['products_height']) . "', '" . tep_db_input($product['products_ready_to_ship']) . "', '0', '" . (int)$product['products_tax_class_id'] . "', '" . (int)$product['manufacturers_id'] . "')");

... if you want to REALLY see something that doesn't set up right out of the box without some tweaking,

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

I'm going to do another install right now. I've been backing up my new store after every contribution has been verified and I'm certain I've got the cleanest & tightest so far.

Your help is making my day!

Best & Thanks;
Marvin
----------------------
osCommerce 2.3.3.4 

Hi Stuart;

I think we've got it cased!

I have the UPS module installed with dimensions as well as the Canada Post module. Neither is giving any errors in the testing I have done so far.

I couldn't have done it without your answers - so thanks very much. I've been wanting both of them to be fully functional and it looks good so far :thumbsup:

Best & Thanks;
Marvin
----------------------
osCommerce 2.3.3.4 

Excellent!!!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed as you continue your testing

• 8 years later...